T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I needed a designer for doing my t-shirt designs. I contacted a person, he gave me his offer and I wanted to verify the pricing.

So, he charges one time for the making the design, which is OK and the price is reasonable.
But he also charges for licensing, flat fee calculated for a long period of time (10 years or 30 years). The price seems to be quite big for my understanding - a couple of times of the price for the design.

He explained to me that it is based on the possible sales of t-shirts I would have for that period of time, etc.

The question is: Is this how that works with the license for a design? Is it normal to pay such amount of money for the right to use his design for making money from selling t-shirts?

Thanks in advance.

· Premium Member
4,536 Posts
There are different types of pricing for designers. This person/company charges for the up front design fee plus royalties. It's not a bad option, but it doesn't make sense to go this route unless they are charging less than their normal fee. If you are wanting to be free and clear of such royalties, then finding a different artist might be the route to go. It really depends on the level of art and the benefits to going either way.

· Registered
81 Posts
That just doesn't sound correct. If he is designing to your specs than i would think it is your intellectual property. It seems the proper course is to pay for the art at which point you own it.
If you are printing his designs than I could see a licensing to use his stuff which I would think would be a percentage of actual sales not a forcasted flat fee.
When I am contracted for art to spec I charge for time, labor and the final piece. When I get paid it belongs to the buyer.
Maybe i'm just doing it wrong.

· Registered
4,706 Posts
it can work both ways

ask for a price to buy the design outright,
or offer a price per sale of their designs in-perpetuity (this is what we do with our artists $2-3/shirt sold)

but i would not recommend paying a sum upfront on 'possible sales',
that is not fair to you or the designer
let's say the design goes viral and you sell a million units,
do you believe the designer will not demand more than the original agreement?

if he/she balks at this then move on,
it is not a good start to the relationship and leaves both of you open to regret/hurt

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Just to clarify - he will do the design by our idea (the main idea) but he will put some creativity for the small details and elements in the design. That's why we want a designer to make our ides more professional-looking.

I am not sure if the price he offered is good, it seems pricey to me but for him it is less then the normal price he would take + the guy was recommended by a friend.
@into the T
Can you explain more what do you mean by "offer a price per sale of their designs in-perpetuity"?
Do you pay the designer based on your sales monthly or what?

The designer didn't want to be involved with paying based on sales because he is not involved in the business and does not influence our sales.

· Administrator
18,946 Posts
Artwork you commission should come with full rights. Then you can do whatever you want with it.

Doesn't make sense to pay 3 times the cost of the design for additional rights.

Once you add the cost of the design plus twice that for printing rights, is this guy still less than other quotes you've received or more?

If less, then I guess you don't have much to complain about - he is simply itemizing his charges to you.

If more then go with the other guy.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately, I don't have another guy, this is the first designer I contacted and cannot compare, that's why I am asking here.

But yeah it is paying for the design + rights for selling the design on t-shirts and based on the period the price is different. The max period I got was 30 years.

· Administrator
18,946 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't have another guy, this is the first designer I contacted and cannot compare, that's why I am asking here.

But yeah it is paying for the design + rights for selling the design on t-shirts and based on the period the price is different. The max period I got was 30 years.
30 years. What a joke.

Keep looking.

Another option are contest sites. like 99designs.com

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Even though we agree on lifetime license the price would be too high. So I thought we can make contracts for the license on every 1/2 or 5 years.

How the whole thing normally works?

I guess it is not that simple - just buy a design and have it forever with the option to do whatever you want with it?

· Registered
4,706 Posts
like splathead said, you buy it for your use forever
or you simply pay a small amount each time an item is sold with the design

especially considering it is your brainchild, he should not have any rights to it
it is like taking your manuscript to an editor, the editor never owns the manuscript

this person is not thinking straight (could be a heroin junkie or gambler)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.