21 - 40 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Re: Biz plan

Comin'OutSwingin said:
Let's hear it.
Alright, here goes.

Well, first, here's my disclaimer: I don't know much about business plans. I have done a little internet research, and I have a general idea of what's involved and what kind of information you need to make one. Honestly it's rather a daunting task, and I haven't started on my own plan yet.

Considering that, in my opinion the sample plan that Greg sent out is pretty good. It's thorough without being too wordy, and from my point of view, it's easy to understand. It covers pretty much every topic you would need to think of when starting this type of business, though I'm sure some subjects could be explained in more detail.

If I was going to use this business plan as a template for my own business, it would be useful for some things, but there is a lot that would need to be added. This business plan is geared towards those that will be selling to customers in retail locations. For example, in this one, the store is located in a mall. Since I am planning to start an internet-based business, many different factors apply that aren't addressed. It's not that I'm expecting these things to be covered by this particular plan, it's just that I've noticed that in general there seems to be a lack of business plan resources out there for those who plan to do most of their business via the internet.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.. I'm sure someone who has more experience can give a better review. :)

·
Registered
381 Posts

I havent went through the plan completely yet. But I want to say thank you to Greg for taking the time to send this plan out to me. I did look thru the marketing section and it seemed pretty well written. Something that anyone writing a plan out could use for reference. When I get some more time, I will look thru it and give a better review.
Only expierence in biz plans I have is one college course that went over the basics of writing out a biz plan.

Thanks again Greg

·
Registered
309 Posts

Sorry this took so long, got some big orders last couple of days and ...well you know.

Anyway, let me say I am by no means an expert, but i think it is a good start and would help out some people who are starting to write a polan for the first time.

Some things to consider adding would be examples of financial statements, or templated on a layout maybe. I got a lot of that information from Microsoft's website under the Office download section.

Thanks for the preview and again sorry for the delay.

·
Registered
37 Posts

Greg I did read the plan & I think as an example plan it really did a good job to show would be entrepreneurs a more detailed business plan catered to this business. It is hard to come across a business plan example relating to the t shirt business..etc. It is very detailed & covered alot, which I love to see. I mean even though alot of us here will be running on line ventures opposed to a brick & mortar I still think it is a good example for most of us to take & incorporate the lay out & bits & pieces of it into our own business plans if the time ever came to present it to investors or whoever. It answered the 5 W's so it was fine by me. If any of you guys are currently writing a biz plan u may want to check out www.beehive.org they have a really easy to use business writing plan link on there for those of you starting out. Anyhow, thanks again Greg. Marcus.

·
Registered
18 Posts

First of all, I am by no means an expert on business plans.

My extensive business plan writing career involves the sample business plan that Greg emailed me, and a meeting with a Small Business Development gentleman in the area.

The sample plan from Greg was awesome in that it went into a ton of detail, and it was specific to the t-shirt industry. I would much rather have far too many details in front of my face, than far too few. There seemed to be a lot of reiteration of the same details, however...there is a fine line between reiterating to make a point, and reiterating to reiterate.

The feedback from the SBDC guy was that concise is preferred (at least by the area banks, here). I tried to place my own plan somewhere in the middle of my two available samples, with regards to length and extensiveness of detail.

The overall section layout of the two samples was very similar, which is reassuring. I was incredibly happy to have Greg's plan in front of me as I composed my own.

I am also writing a business plan for a fairly small amount of capital. If I were asking for 10x the amount, it very well could be a different situation...the bank could be very interested in the smaller details.

Hope this helps, and sorry that it took so long. I was writing a business plan, lol.

Thanks Greg,
Tom

·
Registered
26 Posts

Comin'OutSwingin said:
Okay, it's been almost 2 weeks since I emailed the first business plan to someone requesting it.

Since then I've sent it to about 20 different people, and we still have no comments on it.

I know a lot of you have received it, because you have thanked me either by PM or email. I appreciate that. But if you REALLY want to thank me, let us know what you think about the sample business plan, here in the forums!

I think it's pretty good. And since it is based on a ficticious screen printing shop, I know a lot of you can benefit from it.

So, am I all wet? If you think so, let me know. Is it pretty good? Tell us why.

Let's hear it.
I don't know if you sent it to me. I do have an outline that was mailed to me awhile back, but I forgot who it was sent from. Was I one of the recipients? =)

·
Registered
861 Posts

I've drafted a business plan myself and had an attorney and financial analyst look it over. I myself have read many business plans when I managed an entertainment/corporate law firm. Did you use powerpoint? I used the powerpoint program, great program and Excel for projections... Its simple, detailed and clean...and yes, it sealed the deal :D

·
Registered
1,991 Posts

I used the sames program to write my business plan, which ended up being around 50-60 pages. Hopefully you found out that even though you and your wife have degrees in business and marketing, there are tools out there that allow you to do things much faster. The formatting is already there and all you do is plug in the info and numbers and your financials are created. I purchased several reports, two of them from Impressions Magazine. They do a very complete market survey of the decorated apparel industry for embroidery and screen printing for low-volume, medium-volume and high-volume companies. They are fairly large reports but I think I still have them on my computer if anyone wants a copy. I have an MBA, and if there's one thing I learned, get someone else do most of the work for you and then take the credit for it. I mean, get software to do most of the work for you.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts

What I sent out was a sample plan that came with the software.

The software itself lets you input the data required, and puts in a business plan format for you.

It tells you everything you need for your plan, and gives instructions on why you need it and also some helpful tips along the way.

It's pretty good for the money. I think it's around $50-$75.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts

Sorry about that. I'm having some serious email problems with Comcast! :mad:

They have decided to block port 25, in their infinite wisdom, and I can't send any emails!!!!:mad:

And they won't unblock it!!!!!!!!:mad:

I'll get it to everybody that has requested, though. (maybe Rodney should just have a place for me to upload it, since so many people want it!):D ;)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts

sweenmachine66 said:
Greg,

Hi! Hope all is well. I was browsing the site looking for info on t-shirt specific biz plans and ran across your posting. It'd be awesome if you could email me that copy to [email protected]. I'd really appreciate it! Have a great weekend.

Cheers,

Craig
Sorry about that. I will try to get you some stuff in the next couple days. I'll try and get the sample plan along with industry reports.

21 - 40 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.