T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone on this forum know anything about manufacturing t-shirt blanks from scratch? I'm trying to figure out the pros and cons of finding a garment factory (States or overseas), supplying a shirt blueprint (not even sure what to call that), arranging for type of material, weave, dye, etc., and then have them make me the blank shirts in bulk.

How do you start with this process? Would it even be worthwhile? Any tips and thoughts would be appreciated.

·
2,957 Posts
Very expensive. If you want it done right. I looked into this before I found blanks that fit my style.

The blueprint you are referring to is called a pattern. You need to find someone to make you a pattern. You have to have the pattern graded. You have to have markers made. Then they will make you samples from your pattern. You have to make sure that the pattern has the fit that you want.

Once all of this is done, then you have to have your material cut and sewn. You can find some local seamstresses that will sew your shirts in fewer quantities and cheaper than a factory would.

Patterns made-about $200-$450
Patterns graded-about $10 per piece. Not much for t-shirts
Markers made-about $100-$200
Sample sewn-about $50
Production-depending on what you with. Seamstress with low minimums (100 units) is about $2-$8 per shirt. Manufacturing facility with high minimums (5,000 units) is about $1-$2 per shirt.

Keep in mind these prices will vary with different people and companies, but are about an average of what they would be.

You can find some companies that will provide all of these services, or you can contract out different parts.

As you can see, it can get expensive very fast! That's why we use blanks that are already made!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeesh... okay, you've put the fear of God in me, CominOutSwinging. I had no idea at all in terms of costs involved. Thanks for all that info. That certainly gives me a lot to think about. Obviously, the DIY route would only make sense if you were moving high volume. I'm not going to rule it out completely, but it'll be on the back burner for now.

·
2,957 Posts
Yep, that's the same approach I'm using. It's good info to know. The same process goes for just about getting any garment made, so you can keep it in mind if you want something else made besides t-shirts.

Your profit margin would be higher, on items such as sweatshirts and things like that, that could make it worth your while if you wanted custom items.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi there, my first post here.

i got my first run of tshirts printed in Thailand (Bangkok). i basically brought a "cut" that i wanted and discussed it with the factory. everything is ordered from scratch, thickness, fabric quality, sizes, collar, stitching style, hem sizes, label, etc. i went through the list one by one with their seamstress.

the small factory will order fabric from a bigger factory, sent to a screen printer and sent back to them for cut and sewing. some factory will do the last 2 in-house. bigger factory will do everything in house with stricter quality control and usually takes a minimum order of 2400 pcs sometimes more per design. these are factories that does nike, adidas, etc. price will range from US1.50 to US4 bagged and packed as per your spec.

if you're looking for just blanks, the price should be cheaper.

There's hundreds of small factory and their minimum order varies, mine was 500pcs per design. it was my first experience ordering from Thailand. it takes quite a while to finish (depending on how busy they are) and communication could be a problem. compared to the alternatively cheaper Ciina where you have to monitor and approve everything to make sure they dont screw up, Thailand is better and beer is cheap.

other alternatives are Indonesia, Bangladesh or Vietnam.

hope this info helps.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info, Mikel! Woohoo...roadtrip to Thailand! Er, I mean, plane trip, and only after I sell a few hundred thousand shirts.

In all seriousness, what you described is precisely what I'd like to set up some day for my supply line.

Thai food is awesome...

·
Registered
27 Posts
The pricing mainly depends on the quality.

If you have your own design depending on the manufacturer they prefer larger orders rather than small who wouldnt.

Most will work with your target price unless its outrageously low. There are several who would take smaller orders like 250 - 500 but to a point once you add in the cost of shipment you may as well but wholesale, unless you want it cause its your design and name.

Things usually goes
1. You give all info for the shirt you need, gsm, quantity, color, size chart measurements.
2. Some manufacturers ask for a sample of a tee that has the quality that you are looking for so they can reduplicate the fabric for you.
3. make sample send to you and if you like it production goes ahead.

*** Some people (agents) act as manufacturer that may have shirts premade in the quality that you are looking and just slap your name on it to keep their costs down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i don't mean to sound harsh, but if you're saying things like "a t-shirt blueprint" you should probably spend a little more time learning about production before you delve-in. Errors can be seriously costly and manufacturing is not something that is best learned while doing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My own T-shirt w/tag

Does anyone know where i can get my own t-shirts made? Not designs or customizing for already made t-shirts, but my own t-shirt brand....name, tag. I like longer t-shirts but i'm very picky on size so i thought it i just made my own or had them made it would be perfect. Thanks

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Re: My own T-shirt w/tag

Does anyone know where i can get my own t-shirts made? Not designs or customizing for already made t-shirts, but my own t-shirt brand....name, tag. I like longer t-shirts but i'm very picky on size so i thought it i just made my own or had them made it would be perfect. Thanks
What kind of quantities are you looking for? Usually it takes several hundreds or 1000+ to get them made custom.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I contacted Sanmar because I knew that they offered this service and like COS said, the minimum was 5,000. A friend of mine is an overseas shipping broker, his minimum was 10-20,000.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would appreciate it if you could supply my with this guys info. I currently use a brand called NONA-T which I am pleased with and would like to send a sample to see if he can duplicate but have my own custom tags put on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been in the overseas mfg apparel business for over 14 years. I have mfg in just about all countries.

I mfg for several larger retailers such as JCP, Target and Walmart. You must be careful when you are getting prices b/c each country has different duty rates and quota.

Some countries slap you , may get slapped for an additional 32% of what the factory quoted you. It depends on the clasification of garment and fabric content. So becareful by the time you get your shirts you could have bought cheaper in US.

Be sure to make sure you know what actual price the factory is quoting you:

FOB ( Freight On Board ) = This is only the cost of the garnent w/ local quota included . It does not include freight and or US duty tax. Then you will have to pay for transportation from port to your warehouse.

LDP (Landed Duty Paid) = This is where the garments have all quota and duties (taxes) included once landed in US. You should reconfirm delivery to your warehouse or is it only destination port. Many of my customers like the LDP because they do not have to get in touch w/ a freight forwarder and customes.

Hope this info was helpful to you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm brand new to the site. My question is, with all the creative aspects of making, buying and selling the T-shirts...can anyone recommend a software company that will assist us in quality checking, keeping track of real-time sales vs. projected sales, item catalogues, percentages of income minus expenses, number of damaged goods, market research numbers, cross-collaterized of product information, etc.? I'm sure small start businesses like myself could also benefit from such a computerized program.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm brand new to the site. My question is, with all the creative aspects of making, buying and selling the T-shirts...can anyone recommend a software company that will assist us in quality checking, keeping track of real-time sales vs. projected sales, item catalogues, percentages of income minus expenses, number of damaged goods, market research numbers, cross-collaterized of product information, etc.? I'm sure small start businesses like myself could also benefit from such a computerized program.

Try QUICKBOOK from Intuit

·
Registered
95 Posts
We have made custom blanks for many of our customers and the process is much simpler than explained on this thread. Usually the customer has a specific tee in mind that they are looking to duplicate or they have something almost exactly what they want, but would like to make some changes. If they supply us with a garment we can duplicate it for them, then they approve the counter sample we made and hopefully place an order or make any necessary changes until they are satisfied with the garment. Of course we only do infant and baby blanks, but there are many other manufcatureres that work the same way and you don't need to go the long route of starting with making your own pattern etc. If the manufacturer is already producing blanks, they have a pattern maker in house and you do not have to go through that extra expense - you supply them with what you basically want and they can generally take it from there.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts