T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night was my worst experience so far with the T Jet 3. It seems the bed just started binding out of know where. It then displayed an LED pattern I had never seen before. Normally I get the bed sensor to high blink pattern but this time the error light would blink twice, pause, then repeat the pattern. I keep reading about going to printer information to read the error code, but I feel stupid that I cannot seem to find where that is exactly. I went to the Epson printer driver utility on the maintenance tab to see if it was there, but could find nothing. I tried looking in FastRip, but nothing. It may seem like such a stupid question, but where can I read the current error?

The bed seems to bind up when it approaches the eject position closest to the encoder wheel/bed drive motor end. I took the cover off the encoder assembly and moved the bed and it seems the screw is not as straight as I would expect. Since I could not figure out how to read the error, I assumed it was a bed issue, maybe there is a timeout based on how much the bed should be moving based on its drive command. But, I resorted to loosening the bolts on the other end of the bed drive and moving the bed back and forth numerous times to hopefully take the bind out. It seems to have done the trick. The first two shirts I ran both failed because of registration (I have to do two passes to get the darkness I want) but then I knocked out the rest of my run with no issues, about 20 shirts in a row without having to pitch a single one (might be a record for me). The bed movement sounds better than ever, no loud knocking sound when it moves like before, smooth as butter.

Has anyone ever had to adjust the four bolts that hold the other end of the bed (the encoder wheel side)? It seems if loosening both sets, one at a time, would really allow you to get all the binding out it the one side did not do the trick. What I noticed though is you cannot get and allen wrench in there without taking off the encoder wheel, which I was not about to attempt, It seems like it is press fitted on, and would require a special tool so not to mess it up.

Another curious question, does anyone know exactly what mechanism is messing up to cause registration issues? What sensors detect when the bed is at what I am calling the home position? This is how I assume it works:

The bed moves toward the home position (the position it is going to start the print from) and through some control loop (PID, PI, etc) it hones in on the home position the best it can. Then it move predefined displacements using the encoder wheel to count the number of revolutions that correlate to that exact displacement. This has to be how it works otherwise, it could correct itself during the print if it was true PID type control algorithm all the way through the print.

Does anyone have a complete understanding of how the bed is lined up to start a print? I see there are a couple of position IR emitter/detector pairs that a plate on the bottom of the bed runs through, which I assume is what is being used to line the bed up, but that seems a little crude. I would assume that would be the initial bed detection, then the encoder wheel would do the rest. It would be nice to know the sensors involved in lining up the bed and moving it to fully understand what is really causing the registration issue.

I just really need to fully understand how it works to improve my chances of trouble shooting it when it errors out so I can fix it.

· Registered
1 Posts
So last night was my worst experience so far with the T Jet 3. It seems the bed just started binding out of know where. It then displayed an LED pattern I had never seen before. Normally I get the bed sensor to high blink pattern but this time the error light would blink twice, pause, then repeat the pattern. I keep reading about going to printer information to read the error code, but I feel stupid that I cannot seem to find where that is exactly. I went to the Epson printer driver utility on the maintenance tab to see if it was there, but could find nothing. I tried looking in FastRip, but nothing. It may seem like such a stupid question, but where can I read the current error?

The bed seems to bind up when it approaches the eject position closest to the encoder wheel/bed drive motor end. I took the cover off the encoder assembly and moved the bed and it seems the screw is not as straight as I would expect. Since I could not figure out how to read the error, I assumed it was a bed issue, maybe there is a timeout based on how much the bed should be moving based on its drive command. But, I resorted to loosening the bolts on the other end of the bed drive and moving the bed back and forth numerous times to hopefully take the bind out. It seems to have done the trick. The first two shirts I ran both failed because of registration (I have to do two passes to get the darkness I want) but then I knocked out the rest of my run with no issues, about 20 shirts in a row without having to pitch a single one (might be a record for me). The bed movement sounds better than ever, no loud knocking sound when it moves like before, smooth as butter.

Has anyone ever had to adjust the four bolts that hold the other end of the bed (the encoder wheel side)? It seems if loosening both sets, one at a time, would really allow you to get all the binding out it the one side did not do the trick. What I noticed though is you cannot get and allen wrench in there without taking off the encoder wheel, which I was not about to attempt, It seems like it is press fitted on, and would require a special tool so not to mess it up.

Another curious question, does anyone know exactly what mechanism is messing up to cause registration issues? What sensors detect when the bed is at what I am calling the home position? This is how I assume it works:

The bed moves toward the home position (the position it is going to start the print from) and through some control loop (PID, PI, etc) it hones in on the home position the best it can. Then it move predefined displacements using the encoder wheel to count the number of revolutions that correlate to that exact displacement. This has to be how it works otherwise, it could correct itself during the print if it was true PID type control algorithm all the way through the print.

Does anyone have a complete understanding of how the bed is lined up to start a print? I see there are a couple of position IR emitter/detector pairs that a plate on the bottom of the bed runs through, which I assume is what is being used to line the bed up, but that seems a little crude. I would assume that would be the initial bed detection, then the encoder wheel would do the rest. It would be nice to know the sensors involved in lining up the bed and moving it to fully understand what is really causing the registration issue.

I just really need to fully understand how it works to improve my chances of trouble shooting it when it errors out so I can fix it.
Would you be interested in selling any parts out of the printer?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.