T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new SWF full size single head that I've had a few months now. What is the secret to get this thing to sew a hat? It is pretty much flawless on flats, but I get pull outs on at least 30% of the starting stitches on caps.

I have played with picker angle adjustment, speed, inching stitches, all the settings I've seen mentioned elsewhere. I had an independent tech spend a couple hours with it and his conclusion was mostly "nature of the beast". I had an SWF tech come out who put a new rotary hook on, no change. I've probably done 250 to 300 hats and had maybe 5 that sewed without needing rethreaded at some point.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Would try changing to 80 needles and loosening top tension slightly(no more than a 1/4 turn at top most tension). Sounds like on a trim it is pulling the thread from the eye of the needle? Could also be a check spring wound to tight. Can back off Check spring 1/16 or so to see if that helps as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Adjust your thread tension.When you pull down on the thread, the check spring should come down to the stop before the tension discs move. If the wheels move before the stop, loosen the check spring about 1/16 of a turn and try again. May take some tension adjustment as well, but the goal is to get the check spring to touch the stop before the discs turn. Should clear up the coming out the eye of the needle before the knot is formed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.