T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to take a general survey on what type of computers you graphic/art designers were using?

Windows or MAC?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with jdr8271, video editing is much more elegant on a Mac, but for static design, flash and web it's really just personal preference. With the speed and universal connectivity of USB these days external devices like large storage drives are no longer as expensive as they have been in the past (especially for the mac).

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Obviously most folks are still using PCs (including myself). I'll note, though, that a friend of mne recently bought a mac mini and he loves it; says it's a lot faster than his windows box even though the computer has worse specs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
"For activities requiring large amounts of processor-intensive memory manipulation, a Power Mac G3 is around 10 percent to 30 percent faster than a PC running at the same basic processor clock rate." This is from an article I read recently.

My PhotoShop instructor also told me that with Macs, when you delete something from a project, you get your memory back right away. With a PC, there is a requirement to shutdown or restart after a period of time. Now, I don't quite know how to explain that in technical terms but in my experience with a top of the line PC, I've had to do just that. Can someone explain better?

I use a Mac G4 with Tiger. Macs seem to be the choice for large format graphics and photography. I do have a PC but I found I couldn't work in Photoshop and have three other programs open at the same time without running into memory problems. With the Mac, that doesn't happen.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a G5, a Lombard G3 powerbook and an older powermac at home. Then at work I have my run of 3 G5s, two of which are dual processors. I think I like macs... just a little. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
DickTees.net said:
I have a G5, a Lombard G3 powerbook and an older powermac at home. Then at work I have my run of 3 G5s, two of which are dual processors. I think I like macs... just a little. :)
Wow...your making me droul...and squeal in jealousy

·
Registered
30 Posts
my local best buy just started carrying a single mac computer, a mac mini...maybe more to home at other stores and just more selection...

·
Registered
119 Posts
PC.....I think now adays a lot of the things you can do with a mac you can do with a pc ...and now that intel has taken over mac chips, what would be the point of buying a mac anyway?......joking. no slam intended :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Buy a mac now before those vulnerable/slow processer chips get out inside them and while you can run an operating system that has no know viruses that can attack it!! LONG LIVE THE MAC

·
Registered
401 Posts
PCs are good machines as long as Windows isn't on them ;) I just got myself a Mac Mini - I'm eagerly awaiting delivery.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts