T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nice exposure unit, a flash, a dryer (my heavy equipment) that I leave plugged into the outlets 24/7. Should I worry about losing my entire shop because of a giant surge or lighting strike?

I don't have the cash for a new $4,000 exposure unit. What do you do to protect your equipment.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I unplug ALL my equipment when not in use. Not only lighting storms, but just general electrical surges can happen. Also most electrical companies offer a whole house surge protector...pretty sure my area does it for $5 a month.... this would not help against mother nature though!

·
Registered
167 Posts
surge protection is much cheaper than replacement. Most quality surge protectors offer insurance against damage. Combo with battery back up may give you the couple of minutes you need to finish working on the artwork or save before the pc shuts down too.

In previous life I have seen companies lose all IT or Telecom capabilities on systems costing hundreds of thousands of dollars because they were to cheap or short sighted to buy surge protection. But the company I worked for was making money during the Southern California brownouts (circa 1996)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts