T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there
The company I work for has purchased a Dtg M2. I just have a couple of questions so far:

In the device manager, I dont see the M2 as a printer however I find under "Other devices" MUTOHRJ-901C. Have our support people installed the driver correctly because none of the software disks that came with the printer, have any printer drivers?

Are there any issues with Windows 7 64bit systems as we are thinking about upgrading our windows xp 32bit?

It is possible to reduce the choke % of the white under print, but is it also possible to adjust the position up, down, left or right?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, we are considering the M2 an I am interested to know that the M2 uses the Mutoh print head? Mutoh being a very reputable company with decades of multi surface printing expertise. Would it be correct for me to assume this is a more purpose built and robust machine than the many Epson derivatives?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Hello, we are considering the M2 an I am interested to know that the M2 uses the Mutoh print head? Mutoh being a very reputable company with decades of multi surface printing expertise. Would it be correct for me to assume this is a more purpose built and robust machine than the many Epson derivatives?
Hi Cruisingcat,

The M2 is purpose built and more robust than repurposed Epson models - including our own Viper. It is the product of the large format experience of the mother and the direct to garment printing experience of the father.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm just (maybe incorrectly) assuming large format printers are heavier duty commercial machines and therefore the print heads and mechanisms more suited for high volume use than an Epson photo printer head. Possibly more on par with a Kornit head? I’m here to learn…

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don can you comment on the DX5 printhead? Thats the same head in the Anajet FP125 and Epson Stylus Pro 4400 and others. That doesn't make the M2 a "repurposed Epson model"?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm just (maybe incorrectly) assuming large format printers are heavier duty commercial machines and therefore the print heads and mechanisms more suited for high volume use than an Epson photo printer head. Possibly more on par with a Kornit head? I’m here to learn…
Yes, large format printer are more suited for high volume output, but it is all of the parts that make it run better. The printhead is important but it is not the only factor. There is other parts like higher output dampers better capping stations, inkpumps, any many other parts that add to the durability of the machine.

Also, the printheads in most large format printers are still Epson printheads. The DX5 heads are Epson, the older DX4 and DX2 printheads used in older large format printers are also Epson heads. Even though they all are epson they all handle ink differently. The newer DX5 Printheads where made for use with many different ink types. Epson developed these heads with solvent, dye, pigment, and other inks in mind.

The main reason these heads perform better is that they are designed specifically for these inks. Just as a desktop printer head is designed just for inkjet ink. So putting DTG ink (with bonding agents) or solvent ink (with plastic to increase UV resintance and help with dry time) into a printhead that is not made to handle these foreign elements will decrease the life of the head.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Don can you comment on the DX5 printhead? Thats the same head in the Anajet FP125 and Epson Stylus Pro 4400 and others. That doesn't make the M2 a "repurposed Epson model"?
Hi Cat,

Epson makes and sells desktop printers as well as selling printer parts (mainly heads) to OEMs like Roland, Mimaki, Mutoh & Stork. While the heads may be basically the same they are not driven the same in page printers as they are in specialized applications. The difference in an OEM based printer versus a "repurposed Epson" printer is that a large amount of develoment in a repurposed Epson printer has to do with making the printer NOT do certain things and also working within the parameters neccessary to print good photo images on paper. With an OEM machine the head is controlled by firmware that the OEM has complete control over. An example the - the M2 can print up to 48 pl droplets where as a 4880 based direct to garment printer is limited to something like 21 pl droplets. In laymans terms this means that you can lay down the same amount of ink on the M2 at half the resolution - this equates to a doubling of print speed.

Hope this helps!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts