T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any common stores like walmart or ace hardware or home depot that sell screen printing chemicals or other supplies just under a different title.

I feel like these chemicals and supplies we use that are titled for screen printing are some relatively basic chemicals you could find at a local hardware store under a different name.

Any ideas?

· Registered
3,230 Posts
I've tried a few 'substitute' chemicals but found that stuff formulated specifically for screen printing (yes, more pricey) saves time and headache in the long run. Some folk use Simply Green as a cleaner. I read where Aqua Net and Super Glue works as a mesh adhesive and bleach works as a reclaimer. As far as tools, angle iron fitted with end caps make good scoop coaters. The clean-up scrapers/spatulas can be bought at an auto supply shop for a fraction as can hand cleaner. Appropriately sized trash/recycle bins can be used as dip tanks.

· Registered
2,441 Posts
Methylated spirit is great as degreaser. I evaporates away and I have never had to rinse it out - just rub it on with a rag.
I used to use 'White Spirit' as a screen cleaner to remove ink. It works better than some eco screenwashes I have tried but it is not very eco-friendly, and it stinks.

· Registered
8,278 Posts
All the "alternatives" are usually health hazardous but also some are screen printing chemicals. I personally use all the Eco freindly chemicals from Franmar or CCI. It's not worth a few bucks to trash your health or the earth IMO.

Reactions: PatWibble

· Registered
495 Posts
As Tygeron said, there are plenty of shorcuts you can take when it comes to equipment, but when it comes to the chemicals (aside from degreaser) those formulated for screen printing make the process easier and life a bit safer. As far as degreaser, I use the basic degreaser from Smart and Final's janitorial supply isle and it works awesome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.