T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a supplier from China who will supply blank tshirts in large quantities?? Looking to buy in thousands range, 180 - 200gsm, 100% cotton who will also give samples.:D Thank you any suggestions?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hello my freind
this scenario has many problems
1. the factory you buy from must have a quota license to import. This means you will need to order many thousands because of the visa minimum. T-shirts are still under a quota from China
2. T-shirts in China most factories want 80 cent for a good quality shirt, but there is duty and shipping to add in. In USA you can buy good tshirts for about $1.20 or less
3. most factories will sell them to you but will not tell you about #1, nor will they know what this means, as long as they get your money the importing into usa is your problem.
4. Generally if a trade company offers you a price that is too good to be true this usually means they are returned goods, or defective they may have purchased and reselling to you.
Good luck but at this time buying t shirts from China is not the best idea. I am hearing some other asian countries may be better sources. Malaysia, vietnam...

·
Registered
359 Posts
I agree with bargaincrusader. It's the unknown, the pain of international shipping, etc. We get emails constantly from companies in China, India, Pakistan, Kenya, and several other countries. They want to do our screen printing, DTG printing, AND embroidery! So kind of them.

The emails all seem to be written like those famous emails from the Barrister in London who wants to give you 100,000,000 Pounds Sterling from a distant relative if you'd be kind enough to send him your social security number!

Unless you have guaranteed quantities of thousands of shirts per month, it would seem risky and unpredictable. That's what the Broders, American Apparels, and S&S Sportswears are for: mitigating the risk (IMHO).

Good luck, and if you are successful, please share through whom you got the shirts!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yes but most of the items coming from China have copyright issues. Example you can buy t-shirts from China that say gitrdone, ARMY, or US ARMY, etc... but you may get a lawsuit for copyright, trademark infringement. Same with trucker hats the pictures are over 90% of the case someone elses design. As they in most cases do not make their own designs as they do not know our culture. They are afraid of skulls, and do not know why we would have skull on clothes. So be careful importing designs from CHina to avoid lawsuit. Best to make your own design, then print there or here.

·
Registered
105 Posts
In China the price for t-shirt is too high. And difficulties dealing with them are too risky. I have been to China 31 times in past 5 years. And with the quaota it makes it more difficult when can buy from Vietnam, or Thailand. Many Chinese factories have moved to Thailand, and Vietnam for a reason.

·
Registered
105 Posts
No need to understand Chinese supplier now. If you want large quantity t-shirt I am going to China for 1 month next week looking at t-shirt suppliers as the rules have changed. But I need to find out if the prices have loered or not. And I speak very good english, and understand US customs, and laws so worries are much less.

·
Registered
60 Posts
mutual understanding will help both parties. Many big companies fail in China, not chinese bad, but the culture is different-ebay.com is successful in many countries, but failed in China.

Yes, rules changes-no quota required now. And the prices are lower as raw material price is going down. Also, China government increased drawback to 15% for many garments yesterday (depends on the HS CODE, not all garments)

You can drop me a message and send me your schedule in China, maybe we can meet and talk.

Thanks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
mutual understanding will help both parties. Many big companies fail in China, not chinese bad, but the culture is different-ebay.com is successful in many countries, but failed in China.

Yes, rules changes-no quota required now. And the prices are lower as raw material price is going down. Also, China government increased drawback to 15% for many garments yesterday (depends on the HS CODE, not all garments)

You can drop me a message and send me your schedule in China, maybe we can meet and talk.

Thanks.
If cheating is a culture then you are correct. All we ask is to get product we pay for in USA. In China too many factory take money but either do not deliver good, or bait and switch. Show you very good product deliver junk. If you ask me that is not culture that sucks. Buyer be very aware. In most cases you must go to China inspect prior to shipment payment. And there are many cases whereas they will switch product out of container after delivery. I currenlty deal with a man for past 7 years and I trust him, as he has made good some bad done by the Chinese culture. I currently go to China for other things, to add t-shirts will not be a problem, but last I looked t-shirts were almost same price as here, so why risk it for 5 or 10%. If the difference is 25% or more then it makes much more sense.
Anyone interested in the outcome just email me,

·
Registered
60 Posts
No country would take cheating as a culture.

I am sorry to learn you and your friends' bad experience, and, I know many foreigners (American, British, German.......) who have been cheated by Chinese-even I have been cheated by China Factories. There is nothing to hide, and no need to hide or make excuses, fact speaks.

However, I would still say MOST CHINA FACTORIES are GOOD.

It is my fault to be cheated by the factories-I am the client and I need to control them. How? That is what I need to learn.

I am reading "Tips for China Sourcing" by Robin (http://www.t-shirtforums.com/asia/t48988.html), he is a foreigner but I am learning from him on how to cooperate with China factories.

There is no difference between export to USA and source from China-we are all businessman and we do business for profits. We know there are risks but we will continue do our best to do a good job.

Many US clients break the contract after the sub-prime crisis and China suppliers can not sell their products, they also need to learn how to control risks.

I am glad to be a member of this forum, to know so many professionals in t-shirt field and to learn from everyone.

Both Americans and Chinese are good, so long as we can control our risks.

To follow business ethics, to learn, to grow up......and, TO MAKE MONEY.

Thanks.
------------------------------
P.S.: I am not intended to make excuses or blame anyone, I am intended to communicate, to learn.

If cheating is a culture then you are correct. All we ask is to get product we pay for in USA. In China too many factory take money but either do not deliver good, or bait and switch. Show you very good product deliver junk. If you ask me that is not culture that sucks. Buyer be very aware. In most cases you must go to China inspect prior to shipment payment. And there are many cases whereas they will switch product out of container after delivery. I currenlty deal with a man for past 7 years and I trust him, as he has made good some bad done by the Chinese culture. I currently go to China for other things, to add t-shirts will not be a problem, but last I looked t-shirts were almost same price as here, so why risk it for 5 or 10%. If the difference is 25% or more then it makes much more sense.
Anyone interested in the outcome just email me,

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I just returned form China in January 09. I was there from the 7th to the 16th. I started in Beijing, then took a flight to Hong Kong, then on to Mainland China and visted Shenzhen and Guangzhou. My plan was to visit only Beijing but the Factory owner whom I have done business with since 2001 tried to pull a fast one so I had to walk away and decided to try my back up supplier in Hong Kong. I have had this company make travel bags for me for 8 years and when I arrived to look at the new bags it was not the design I sent him and the price was more than double. You would think that being a customer for 8 years they would have some loyalty but no they tried to stiff me but I pulled out and they are the ones that have to take the loss.

While in Shenzhen I was having lunch with a factory owner and he started asking me about how we buy our t-shirts. When I told him what we pay for a Gildan t-shirt he said there was no way they could compete with that price and he was correct. I have yet to find the quality of shirts that we can get here in the US from China for much cheaper.

I would emphatically suggest that anyone wanting to do business in China do not settle for placing an order online. Go there, take a tour of the facility, feel the merchandise. The last thing you want to do is order a bunch of t-shirts and after you pay all that money to get them to the US it is somehitng you can't use.

I purcahsed blank Polos in 2002. I ordered 500 in diffferent sizes and colors for a corporate job I had at the time. I picked them up instead of having them shipped. I made the mistake of not checking ALL of the shirts. I trusted the guy since this was my 5th purchase from him so I loaded it on the plain as cargo and when I got home over half of them were pure crap that I couldn't give away much less sell. One shirt didn't even have a collar. I called, and called and they eventually blew me off but that was a lesson learned that will never happen again.

China is very, very cheap compared to the US but be very careful because you will get what you pay for.

Katrina

·
Registered
164 Posts
When you mean thousands..how much?? 10,000 pcs?
IF IT IS A few thousand you could get a good deal from yr local wholesaler -- why bother going to China (you have the customs, import papers etc.... to deal with...which are a right head ace)

·
Registered
105 Posts
according to my friend even in China capatalism is working. Due to the economy over 10.000 factories closed in the Wenzhou region in the past 3 months. Now the way the economy is the bad factories will all fold I hope.
After the replyfrom person in Thailand it seems best to buy in USA. Maybe you can get a thicker shirt for $2.00, but in USA most people will accept a hanes 6.1 thick t-shirt for $1.50. I do not see a problem with $1.50 for a 6.1. If you are looking to have large quantity printed maybe the going to Thailand may make sense but as a rule you should visit the factory at least before firsy order. Now the cost to go is less than $2000. This should be less than 5% of big order, just factor it into price.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just returned form China in January 09. I was there from the 7th to the 16th. I started in Beijing, then took a flight to Hong Kong, then on to Mainland China and visted Shenzhen and Guangzhou. My plan was to visit only Beijing but the Factory owner whom I have done business with since 2001 tried to pull a fast one so I had to walk away and decided to try my back up supplier in Hong Kong. I have had this company make travel bags for me for 8 years and when I arrived to look at the new bags it was not the design I sent him and the price was more than double. You would think that being a customer for 8 years they would have some loyalty but no they tried to stiff me but I pulled out and they are the ones that have to take the loss.

While in Shenzhen I was having lunch with a factory owner and he started asking me about how we buy our t-shirts. When I told him what we pay for a Gildan t-shirt he said there was no way they could compete with that price and he was correct. I have yet to find the quality of shirts that we can get here in the US from China for much cheaper.

I would emphatically suggest that anyone wanting to do business in China do not settle for placing an order online. Go there, take a tour of the facility, feel the merchandise. The last thing you want to do is order a bunch of t-shirts and after you pay all that money to get them to the US it is somehitng you can't use.

I purcahsed blank Polos in 2002. I ordered 500 in diffferent sizes and colors for a corporate job I had at the time. I picked them up instead of having them shipped. I made the mistake of not checking ALL of the shirts. I trusted the guy since this was my 5th purchase from him so I loaded it on the plain as cargo and when I got home over half of them were pure crap that I couldn't give away much less sell. One shirt didn't even have a collar. I called, and called and they eventually blew me off but that was a lesson learned that will never happen again.

China is very, very cheap compared to the US but be very careful because you will get what you pay for.

Katrina
nice insight thanks,

any companies you would recommend in guangzhou?

·
Banned
54 Posts
It is unfortunate that you clients are lured by cheap price and ultimately end up with distress. Did anyone visit India and a town that is a major T-Shirt hub in India? There are major resources from companies in India that are quality conscious and reliable. Of course, price is higher than other Asian countries and quality is no way less than any American Brand. Crooks are everywhere and if you go for very cheap price, then they are your source.
How could one supply a 100% cotton T-Shirt at the rate of yarn price??? But we are ready to believe only for the reason that we need cheap price.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It is unfortunate that you clients are lured by cheap price and ultimately end up with distress. Did anyone visit India and a town that is a major T-Shirt hub in India? There are major resources from companies in India that are quality conscious and reliable. Of course, price is higher than other Asian countries and quality is no way less than any American Brand. Crooks are everywhere and if you go for very cheap price, then they are your source.
How could one supply a 100% cotton T-Shirt at the rate of yarn price??? But we are ready to believe only for the reason that we need cheap price.
you raise a very interesting point,

what are the prices in india like?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts