T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I know I cannot reproduce the Superman "S" logo without a license but I have had some requests to put other letters or initials in the Superman shaped Diamond and am wondering if it is OK if the letter is changed ? I see lots of people doing it and just not offerng the "S" but I can seem to find any concrete info about this online whether it is ok or not to use other letters. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK thanks for the advice. I was hoping someone might have experience with this since it seems to be prevalent online the availability of other letters. I am probably just going to decline request as I am not going to go meet with an Attorney over a couple of shirts.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
You are essentially trying to create your own version of the Superman logo. That could obviously lead to legal issues. Even if a million people told you it was ok, you could still get sued. So you're not going to find a definitive answer here on the forum. The smart move is to steer clear.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Artists take risks. Parody is protected expression in the States. Find a good libertarian lawyer and go to town.

I do. And I get C&D's often enough but they generally have no teeth.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Artists take risks.
Artists that create original works don't need to take risks.

Parody is protected expression in the States.
Depends on the form of media.

If you want to make a YouTube video that parodies Roger Goodell and the NFL, go right ahead. But when you print something on a t-shirt, it's a salable good. The use of IP on salable goods is governed under The Lanham Act. Parody or not, using existing IP on t-shirts can lead to legal issues. Only a judge can decide if the use is parody or infringement.

I do. And I get C&D's often enough but they generally have no teeth.
That works for you. But it may not work for everyone. Slippery slope advice on a free, public forum.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Superman isn't owned by an artist. Lol srsly.

Logo was created in 1938.

Insane that it's protected today.

I think I'll make a Superman parody today.

With my scum lawyer's advising.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
I didn't say Superman was owned by an artist. But artists don't need to take the risk of using the Superman logo, they can just create their own art. Cuz, you know, their artists. lol.

The year it was created is relevant to copyright, not trademark. As long as the logo is still being used as an applicable trademark, it can be protected. Not sure why that's insane. Another lol.

You should definitely make a Superman parody today. And post the link to it. I would like to see it and your other popular parodies that are available for sale.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts