T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I need to know how to create succesfull wood frames.

I left college to create originals to be printed on wrapping paper(large inexpensive rolls) as large as possible (in an unrepeating kind of way). This is apparently not possible in english. Not having a staff or an interpreter on said staff, I scour the internet.

Having had no luck in my extensive searches and emails, I now only look every year or so as it makes me violent after a few days.

I worked at a screenprint shop after I read the "How To Print T-Shirts For Fun And Profit" book, and built the neccessary hardware.

I apprenticed under a real pro(Dave) who left to finish his career in a large operation (If I remember right Daytona). After he interviewed at several large places. He taught me how to do it right, be exact, and use all the modern and ancient presses found at the shop as well as the manuals. His Associate (Different Dave) another fine gentleman was the screen guru. I assisted but was usually little more than an onlooker. The place I worked at had some famous designs and would print on any and all things, socks, golfbags, but it was the collars that I hated most.

I work elsewhere now but still have a burning artistic desire to have screenprinting in my arsenal.

I have bought a total of three Newmann Roller frames and still have my exposure unit and 1 color press (I built)as well as an industrial heat gun (bad experience with air dry ink early on).I have the metal frames because I believed that I could quickly and reliably create wood frames by using a two part adhesive to bond them to a torque tensioned (perfect) screen stretched on my metal Newmann frames. This was a pleasent thought but I haven't had much success (6 years ago I did it twice, first two times worked, than we ruined the wood framed screens with air dry ink, and had life get in the way for several years). Recently when we went to get the ball rolling again we were unable to consistantly bond the wood frames taught to the stretched screen ( batting 2 for 16 ), can't afford to keep flying through mesh like that.

I have to go another route with the spline technique I presume ( my old employer buys the competition when they put it up for sale to prevent competitors from doing so, and prevented me from even buying off of them, their stockpile of frames meant that they never needed to stretch a wood frame again, and why I'm competant at metal frame stretching ( that taught stuff tears if mishandeled in it's frequent reclaiming and such).

I don't know this ancient art. I need to dance with the devil to learn it though. and that's why I'm here (unless you know where I can have printed inexpensive wrapping paper on rolls, that don't duplicate the image for a couple feet). Hopefully those here can be of help and myself not too much of a burden.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Welcome to the T-Shirt Forums! Sounds like you've picked up a lot of screen printing knowledge on your journey to your printed wrapping paper!

So, just so I'm clear, you want to screen print on paper? Won't that leave the paper kind of stiff or thick? Seems like you'd want to use discharge printing (not sure if that's possible on paper) or actually dying the paper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
well I plan to do one offs graffitti like big applications of many stencils, with t-shirts as a side project (along with actual employment). But I have a small army of artists under my roof and we're going to require more screens than I care (or could afford) to buy premade.

I've scoured the internet on the wrapping paper thing and at one point had every vendor and what not on a address list that I emailed periodic informational requests. I haven't uttered a word aloud about it in years I don't know why I burdned the board ( with what sounds simple enough and attainable yet).

I'm gonna go with routing the wood frames. I'll let you guys know how it goes soon enough. Flying by the seat of your pants is awful disturbing if your as anal-calculated plan ahead cover all your bases junkie like me.

Nice place ya got here

1 - 3 of 3 Posts