T-Shirt Forums banner

Sunbrella and Plastisol Inks?

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  NFrancis 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I have a client who needs his logo printed on photography equipment carrying bags he is making from (black) Sunbrella material.

Could plastisol inks and an infrared dryer be used for this material? If so, do normal plastisol ink curing temperatures apply? I do have samples on the way, but a nudge in the right direction would save me some time.

Thanks, Nik

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Sunbrella "a fabric made of woven acrylic fibers with pigmentation added prior to extrusion". Would nylon be grouped with acrylic when considering ink application?

Also, I would print on the fabric before the bags were constructed. Good tip though.

Nik

#4 ·
Update and to answer my own question : )

Sunbrella got back to me. If anyone is interested.. you can use plastisol inks effectively with Sunbrella fabric, however you will experience 8-15% shrinkage when curing inks in your dryer. They suggested to preshrink then print and cure. About an additional 2% shrinkage.

Another option was to use a flocking adhesive or air dry ink. Nazdar makes this and its call PX Series. Need a solvent resistant emulsion and 86-110 mesh screen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.