T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have a question regarding dye sub fabrics. I've looked at the Vapor-type apparel which is, if I understand correctly, poly threads on the exterior, with cotton on the interior for comfort, but there is a somewhat limited selection. (I need infant/toddler/maternity)

Is the all-poly exterior necessary for successful color results, or will any light colored, 65% poly/35% cotton blend work as well?

Sorry for the "newbie-ness" of my question. I've only got very limited experience with plastisol transfers so far, but I really want to try dye-sub!

Thanks!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yes, dye-sub ink sticks permanently to the polyester content only.

Do you not find you lose a lot of colour on only 65% poly? I tried an 80/20 poly/cotton and it ended up with a faded vintage look. (which is sometimes ok) but 100% poly is way more vivid IMO.

Vapor is 100% poly as far as I know (at least that's what the labels say).

Hanes Soft L'inks are the ones that have the cotton on the inside with poly on the outside. That material is good for babies and maternity. It's very soft and comfy and easy to press. I am going to make onesies out of that.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hanes Soft L'inks are the ones that have the cotton on the inside with poly on the outside. That material is good for babies and maternity. It's very soft and comfy and easy to press. I am going to make onesies out of that.

Hi. It is my understanding that Hanes are discontinuing the Soft L'inks range. This has been verified by one of the suppliers in one of the threads on here. You may need to ask your existing supplier if that also includes the baby items, before you start making any plans.

It is only the Soft L'inks that are cotton on the inside and polyester on the outside. The Vapor type product is 100 percent polyester and breathable, making it most suited to sports garments.

Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't found anyone that carries Soft L'ink infant or toddler blanks at all. Does such a thing exist (for now, anyway)? I did see something about the fabric itself being available if you wanted to have them made, but I'm
nowhere near that stage yet. I wonder if the fabric will be phased out, too...

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I have found that using 50/50 garments and transfer paper with a poly coating works well.I also have used a poly spray to get better results. .... JB

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yes, Hanes Soft L'ink blanks are being discontinued. My supplier told me it was because they moved production to a different factory from Mexico to El Salvador (I think) and the factory made all the shirts inside out. Which is, of course, a huge sublimation disaster, so Hanes decided to stop making them, which is too bad as some of my customers really like them.

You can still get yardage of Soft L'ink. Hanes does not produce baby blanks for the sublimation industry. I assume the fabric will be discontinued as well so other sourcing would be necessary down the road. I am about to embark on cut and sew - it was always part of my broader vision.

It seems like our options get narrower and narrower!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2 cents for what ever it is worth on the dye sub.

Vapor apparel - It is fabulous but hard to find. www.infantblanks.com are now starting to carry the microfiber vapor apparel in some of the infant items. They have told me they will increase the line if they see the need.

I think the need will be there BUT this whole vapor line racks up the retail prices you have to charge to cover everything. We see why we need to charge what we do but the customer does not understand the process and reason for the higher price and sees your competitor down the street as being cheaper.

Chromablast - I have found I get the same effect using the chromablast paper with regular epson ink in my C88+ printer and I use this on 100% cotton apparel.

This is very cost effective and I love it since my line is mainly childrens. :p

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
My 2 cents for what ever it is worth on the dye sub.

Vapor apparel - It is fabulous but hard to find. www.infantblanks.com are now starting to carry the microfiber vapor apparel in some of the infant items. They have told me they will increase the line if they see the need.

I think the need will be there BUT this whole vapor line racks up the retail prices you have to charge to cover everything. We see why we need to charge what we do but the customer does not understand the process and reason for the higher price and sees your competitor down the street as being cheaper.

Chromablast - I have found I get the same effect using the chromablast paper with regular epson ink in my C88+ printer and I use this on 100% cotton apparel.

This is very cost effective and I love it since my line is mainly childrens. :p
Part of the whole problem with sublimated garments, is the high cost of inks and fabrics, puts you at a commercial disadvantage. Vapor are particularly expensive with their tees, typically costing twice the price of a cotton item.

For those interested in the Chromablast system, one of the threads I started has more details of the process and some pictures of finished garments.

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/dye-sublimation/t57252.html

Only downside with Chromablast, is it is owned by Sawgrass. Same people that make the expensive sublimation inks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts