T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all, I'm new to the fashion business I plan on starting with t shirts to get things off the ground and then branch into other forms of clothing so im here to hopefully learn some things along the way. My question is what do you guys think would be more cost effective for shirts should i order blank tshirts in bulk and then take them to the screen printer or should i just run everything through the screen printer. I'm thinking of starting off with 5 designs and for each design there will be about 24 printed up. I've also been thinkin about going thru print mojo it seems that it would also be cost effective to go thru them because i read that they include 2 color printing with no extra costs but the waiting 45 days for payment kind of deters me. This post included things that couldve been categorized in 3 different forum topics but I decided to juss dump it all here sorry if im wrong lol thanks for the help yall

·
Premium Member
27,690 Posts
If your initial concern is cost, I think the best way might be to price it all out yourself.

Price out the costs of blank t-shirts, shipping to the printer, printer costs for printing the designs, setup fees, shipping it back to you. If you plan on selling online, make sure to factor in the costs of domain name, webhosting, ecommerce setup, site design.

Then price out just going directly to the screen printer, having them buy the t-shirts and print the shirts for you (most screen printers prefer supplying the shirts), setup fees, shipping them back to you. If you plan on selling online, make sure to factor in the costs of domain name, webhosting, ecommerce setup, site design.

Then check printmojo and price out the same (printing costs, fees, etc).

See which one will be cheaper for your specific needs.

Some people prefer to buy the t-shirts wholesale so they can relabel them themselves and maybe get a slightly better deal than going to the printer.

Some people prefer to have the screen printer provide the t-shirts in their quote so they have to deal with less vendors. Some screen printers will also relabel the t-shirts for you.

Some people are do-it-yourselfers that like to have control over the whole process, so they design the website themselves, setup the ecommerce, etc. Price isn't as much of a priority as control over the steps.

Some prefer to just work on designs and promotion and have an all-in-one service do the rest (printing, ecommerce, hosting, customer service, etc). That's when you'd look to a fulfillment company of some sort.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i see thanks for the help im more than certain I'm putting my own labels in my shirts from searching around the forums i found a spot that does labels for cheap I will be getting at them soon to see what they can do for me so I will probably just wholesale the shirts get the labels put in by a local seamstress and then go thru with the cheapest screen printing place

·
Premium Member
27,690 Posts
Remember to consider exactly how you plan to market and sell those t-shirts

Where will you advertise (radio, tv, online, search engines, newspapers)? What will you be advertising (a website? selling a local retailers?) How will you accept payment if you are selling retail (PayPal? Checks? A merchant account so you can accept credit cards?)?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm getting my business plan in order now I'm getting my costs together now so i can place them in the plan im going to the small business administration next week for some consulting so i can have everything in order i plan on hitting up some stores around here and talk to some of their buyers to see how i can get my shirts in their stores as well as online sales

1 - 5 of 5 Posts