T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just starting to try to figure out what equipment I need. I plan on doing printing for schools, races, etc. so it could be on T-shirts as well as on spandex shorts and some reflective printing for night running. Can anybody get me started in the right direction?:confused:

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I use heat press vinyl and plastisol transfers for spandex. I get the transfers made to stretch with the material. .... JB

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yeah, it's definitely a question for screen printing. Direct-to-garment printing (DTG) will look good, but it will wash out immediately. We've only been really successful on 90%+ cotton garments. Heat transfer is a good option, too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your input---I went to the SGIA expo in Atlanta and was told that the ONLY way to do spandex would be with screen printing or sublimation (way too costly for school teams) so I'll look a little deeper into heat transfer.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Obviously, with heat transfer, you need to be careful of the heat on spandex. With DTG printing and screen printing, it is not a problem. Not sure about sublimation, though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the spandex will hold up to the heat, then heat transfer would be the way to go for school teams. They want something for "a season" that's not going to cost them lots of money, plus it would be the least amount of equipment for us to purchase to get started. Do you know what company would have the equipment and the answers for what I need? Julie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts