T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok what is your suggestion for the first steps for a noobie who wants to sell Stussy/Triple Five Soul/Paul Frank-esque shirts to be sold online.

I've done pretty extensive research but just in case I miss something.. this is my plan.

- Register our brand name as a business under our state. (If we register with the state as a business entity, I assume federal too? sorry if that sounds stupid).
- Get a domain name and set up shop.
- Get a taxpayer ID
- Contact local printer to print our shirts.
- Market market market

Am I missing anything?

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Find a webhost and setup hosting for your domain name.

Setup an ecommerce solution/shopping cart to take orders.

Get a merchant acccount and/or PayPal account to process secure credit card payments online.

Have a marketing plan in advance to make sure your shirts are seen by the right people.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Rodney. I've pretty much got the marketting plan and the web junk down.

I know someone suggested that if its a small operation, you don't need to trademark federally. I know with the feds, its about 400 bucks without a lawyer.

Is it ok if I just trademark it locally instead of with the Feds in the beginning of our operation due to the lack of funds?

·
Registered
97 Posts
HUH? Local trademark... Thats a new one on me. I think copyrights and trademarks all go through the US patent and trademark office. A small operation probably doesn't need to worry about trademarks until the company has its feet on the ground. The other day I was looking at the fed site and read that you can list your self as trademarked using the TM but must be registered for the other marks. I would suggest going to the web site for the trademark office and reading through it so you get the understanding needed. Good luck with your adventure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I thought it was odd myself. On our hawaii government page (hawaii.gov). Theres a section for businesses to file for trademarks, servicemarks, and tradenames. I'm assuming they just protect your business name and not your logo though even though they require you to submit the picture if it is a logo. And the filing fee is only 50 dollars.

And yeah, for now, I wasn't too sure if I should worry about trademarking if its a small operation, thats why I thought I ask.

Thanks a bunch guys, I just wanted to say that I love this site. It's like haven for oogles and boogles of information of the industry. I don't think you can get this much support and info anywhere else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts