T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I've been using sofstretch for a couple of months now. Been really impressed with the quality.

For the past few days though, I'm having some problems with my prints. After I put the shirt under the heat press and then peel it, I'm getting some very rough/scratchy areas on the design, and I don't know why.

Please see photos attached.

I'm not doing anything different at all, to what I've been doing up till now. Same design, same setting on the heat-press, same blank t-shirt. So why the sudden problems? :confused::(

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
Re: Sudden problems with JETPRO SofStretch

A quick test you should try is a temperature probe test over the top platen to ensure your temperature is consistent. If you do not want to go find a Temp Probe (they are less than $50) you can get temp strips, or you can do your own test by cutting a solid color of JPSS up, use scrap material and place these squares on the various locations on your press and see if they all react consistently, I suspect that area is not heating properly.

If your test shows otherwise, there is another thread about JPSS cracking and I have "swapped" paper with this person, our papers are in the mail and once received we will test these papers to see if it is a "batch" of JPSS that is the problem. Did you just start using a new batch of the paper? Do you keep it sealed in a ziplock bag?

Reactions: kasabian

·
Registered
4,766 Posts

It may be raised cotton fibers. I am sure you are pre-pressing so you may want to get one of those sticky lint cleaners and go over the shirt. Then pre-press.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

A quick test you should try is a temperature probe test over the top platen to ensure your temperature is consistent. If you do not want to go find a Temp Probe (they are less than $50) you can get temp strips, or you can do your own test by cutting a solid color of JPSS up, use scrap material and place these squares on the various locations on your press and see if they all react consistently, I suspect that area is not heating properly.

If your test shows otherwise, there is another thread about JPSS cracking and I have "swapped" paper with this person, our papers are in the mail and once received we will test these papers to see if it is a "batch" of JPSS that is the problem. Did you just start using a new batch of the paper? Do you keep it sealed in a ziplock bag?
Hi there, thanks for the reply.

The batch is the same batch that I've been using from the start. And yes, in a bag.

I did a temp test that you mentioned, using coloured squares of JPSS paper. They seem to have come out all ok. :confused: None of the previous problems I have mentioned.

If it was a problem with the temperature being inconsistent, can anything be done about that? Is my machine faulty?

I'm attaching photos of the backing paper from the JPSS. There seems to be residue of the design, scattered over it. I don't know if this sheds light on what the problem is :confused:

I guess I could press it for a longer time. But as I'm using white tees, they may turn yellow cos of too much heat. I currently do 190 celcius (374 farhrenheit) at approximately 20 seconds. :eek:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
kasabian, have you always pressed for 20 seconds? JPSS instructions say to press for 30 seconds. How is the pressure on your press? Maybe add a little pressure and a little time to the transfer. Have you changed the shirt you use? A different shirt will act very different, I've seen this first hand. Did you say it didn't happen when you did your test pieces?

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
I need a place to post this pm, reposted with permission from the sender, it may help others somewhere down the line, so we figure we'll keep the info on the boards. The topic is very similar to this thread regarding rough surface of image area. It's different in the sense that kasabian has only certain areas of roughness. (??) Maybe something in the response could help the OP here as well, I am not sure, bc only rough patches seems odd to me. (??)

funkygator2 said:
Hello. Soon after you replied to my post "best equipment for infant/toddler blanks", I sent for a sample, but when I press it using my JP presser it comes out w/ a texture. Is this happening to you too? Any suggestions? The instructions on my press states to set it up at a lower temp than the desire one b/c the platen it's a few degrees hotter - could this be the problem? Thanks in advance for your time and help.
girlzndollz said:
Do you mean a slighty gritty or slightly sandy feeling to the image area? I do get that, too. I stretch the shirt after the first press, and then re-press with a teflon sheet over the image. In addition to reducing/eliminating any cracking, I feel it smoothes the surface a little better than without doing that.

The optimum press temp and time to use for JPSS is 375* for 30 seconds, but actual press temps can vary from what the press is *set* to. This may help explain why other folks press at lower temps with great results.

Once you find the best temp on your press, stick with that setting. For me, it is 375* for 30 seconds. I believe my press runs at the temp the guage is set for because I don't have any pressing problems.

Do you mind if I post a copy of our questions and answers in a thread in case they can help someone else who might have the same question as you? I'd appreciate it. Thank you. :)

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Guys, I dont know about the rest of you and where you live, but all my shirts for the past 2 weeks, the moisture that has been coming out of them is unreal, it is actually leaving water spots on my teflon, sheets when prepressing, and I store them hanging on racks, so not by any damp area or anything, just that time of year, or how they were stored in the warehouse,, Gilden, 2000,
they are pressing well, but i am really pre pressing the heck out of them. just my 2 cents, incase it could be excessive moisture issue

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
I keep all of my shirts in the big sealed tupperware like bins. This I find keeps my shirt nice and moisture free.

Kelly I thought for some reason alot of people have commented on the rough feel of the jpss after peeling. what was the thread Rhonda posted, didnt that one have some good ideas for a smoother feel?

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Kelly I thought for some reason alot of people have commented on the rough feel of the jpss after peeling.

Yes, me included, like above. I loved Ironall for that buttery peel and silky smooth finish, but Ironall has that fade issue. Trading that peel and finish for everything JPSS offers in return is the concession. It's still a pretty good finish, but I always dislike that ever so slightly gritty feel. Some folks think it is the polymer raising as the paper is pulled off and drying in the "up" position.

sunnydayz said:
what was the thread Rhonda posted, didnt that one have some good ideas for a smoother feel?
Yeah, that is a very clever idea that Rhonda has come up with to solve the problem with cold peel shirts. It's thought the cold peel lets the polymer cool off and "set" in a flat position, so when it is peeled, it is set and doesn't stick to the paper like in a hot peel, giving it the smoother finish.

But we already know from Chani's tests that a cold peel shirt will crack in the wash, unless washed on *hot* the first time. Those are tricky wash instructions to sell a shirt with. Most of us thought, better to have a little grit than possibly a cracked shirt being returned by a customer, right?

What Rhonda is experimenting with is the cold peel with a twist of re-heating it with a second press after is it peeled (cold). The shirt did not crack in the wash, so it looks really promising.

I am just concerned with the amount of time a fully cold peel and reheat will take to do, it may add too much time to the process for me.

Before Rhonda's post, I have been spending my time working on peeling as hot as I can because folks have said they have gotten that buttery peel and silky smooth finish out of JPSS like you do with Ironall, when peeled super extremely immediately while hot - so I had been seeking my oasis in that.

Although, I sometimes think re-pressing wth parchment paper may give me that smoother finish I want because my teflon does have a texture as well.

Next week I hope to be firing up the press to check all of this stuff out. I really, really want to try Rhonda's method out. If I can get the smoother finish and not have cracking in the wash I would probably do it that way, I just have to make sure the process isn't too slow... inkjet heat transfer is already slow enough when performed by me. :)

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
You know when I was doing transfers ( I was using the jetwear paper) I peeled them as hot as I could stand because they always seemed smoother the hotter I peeled. I would literally hurry and open the press and peel very quick. I did alot of transfers when I was doing them, before dtg but that was what always worked for me. Peeling as hot and fast as I could and then stretching and pressing again. Also I always used the silicone parchment as I never liked the teflon sheets. The place I got my parchment at was this place Matfer Bourgeat EXOPAP - Parchment Paper, I still get it there as the price is great. :) Hope this helps some.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts