T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently saw some examples of uv prints on glass. They looked pretty great but am wondering how they look compared to sublimination on the same product? I’d like to offer some of my designs (both vector spot colors and photo realistic designs) on glass, which would be the better option (most designs will have white in the print).

Is the end result semi transparent? I was thinking it would be cool to put a light behind to make it glow.

Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
UV hands down. No question about it.
Very durable and you can control the opacity.
There is no white ink in sublimation and all colors are translucent.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I was really impressed with what I saw online bit figured it was worth asking how sublimination differed.

Do you think the uv print with a durs machine on glass (or any substrate for that matter) is going to look better / more vibrant than a high end print with a pigment printer on the best quality paper? Looking to offer a cool, unique product that stands out.

I contacted a local company to get a quote (will likely have to outsource) and asked about seeing it in person. Hopefully it wont brek the bank. Saw one company online that had a price breakdown for a machine that can only print up to 13x20. For that it was $72 a print with a $150 minimum. With the cost of set up ($30) and cost of glass I was figuring it would be aboit $100 for each 13x20 print. Pretty expensive but hopefully the bigger machine will be a bit cheaper per print when placing a larger order.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Do you think the uv print with a durs machine on glass (or any substrate for that matter) is going to look better / more vibrant than a high end print with a pigment printer on the best quality paper? Looking to offer a cool, unique product that stands out.
UV prints they look great. Visit a local printer and ask for samples
You also get better durability and light fastness.
The only way to get decent durability and light fastness with sublimation is by applying a UV resistant clear coat.
Clear coat is also available for UV prints if you want even better finish, but it is not necessary.

I contacted a local company to get a quote (will likely have to outsource) and asked about seeing it in person. Hopefully it wont brek the bank. Saw one company online that had a price breakdown for a machine that can only print up to 13x20. For that it was $72 a print with a $150 minimum. With the cost of set up ($30) and cost of glass I was figuring it would be aboit $100 for each 13x20 print. Pretty expensive but hopefully the bigger machine will be a bit cheaper per print when placing a larger order.
$72 a print is a rip off...
$30 for what kind of setup?
Glass price will depend on the thickness but it's fairly cheap.
My advice would be to find a local printer and supply your own glass.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts