T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have no problems sublimating white t-shirts. I've got the process down to eliminate the creases from the paper using correct heat, time and foam.

However, when I try to do a light non-white shirt, say grey, pink or red, the only issue I have is what looks like a residue from the paper that is showing on the shirt. No creases, etc... just what looks like something transfering from the white transfer paper.

I'm using Ricoh 3300 with the inks from Conde, 8.5 x 11 Text Print-R, clam press 400 for 45 seconds on 100% polyester shirt with vapor foam and the result is attached in photos. It's a bit hard to see, but it's very noticeable on any non-white polyester shirt.

[media]http://familyfanclub.net/images/IMG_5634.JPG[/media][media]http://familyfanclub.net/images/IMG_5635.JPG[/media]
Anyone have this problem and how to solve? Specific brands? Paper type? Temperature / Time?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Paul

· Registered
4,624 Posts
Re: sublimiation on non-white t-shirts

I will agree with Dave on this one. Next time, cover the entire shirt that is on the platen with paper before you close the press. You can use standard copy paper if you need. I think you will see that the heat is what is affecting the color of the shirt. This happens with some garments that are not made to do dye sub, but are 100% polyester. The dyes used in coloring the fabric react negatively with the heat. By covering the rest of the shirt on the platen, you will have minimize the amount of direct heat.

Let us know if this works for you.

Mark

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks guys, I'll try reducing the heat / time. I didn't mention it in the original post, but also use uncoated butcher paper from Sam's (thanks t-shirt forum) and I cover the entire shirt, so there is no direct heat on the garment.

I'll try changing the heat/time...I've also sent a proof to customer. If they're happy, I'll be happy...but if it's me...I'd like to figure this out for my own sanity.

Paul

· Registered
58 Posts

Also when pressing the micrifiber type polyester lower the paten down until it touches the transfer and barely compresses the foam. You dont have to do this with regular polyester but it helps with the silky feeling microfiber materials.

· Registered
1,276 Posts

Agree with Mark and Dave. That's what I would be suggesting too - drop down temperature and reduce pressure. The mark on the t-shirt looks like scorching or press mark (or combination of both).
When pressure is a bit high, some fabric textures flatten quite a bit and it seems to be more noticable on coloured fabrics, than white.

When reducing temperature and pressure, you may need to encrease your dwell time to make sure the design transfers properly. If you have some reject t-shirts - cut them into swatches and experiment with different combinations of temperature, time and pressure untill you are happy with the result. Different types of fabrics somtimes require different approach.

· Registered
252 Posts

I have been having the same problem. I have tried different combination's of heat, dwell times and pressures with no success. The more i back the pressure off the better it gets, but at that point the print starts to blow out.
I feel that the shirt color is actually lifting from the garment to the paper. Is your paper clean after the press or does it have a red tint to it?
I have not had such trouble with Vapor Apparel, but it has happened with every Badger and Augusta darker shirt I have tried.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, back on the case.

Tried to lower the temp, time and pressure in different combos and no luck so far.

It does appear that when I try to sublimate on a RED 100% polyester shirt, that I do see the shirt color on the transfer paper after sublimation, as if the dye is being extracted by the paper.

I'm using TextPrint-R from Conde.

I'm going to keep trying different combinations.

· Registered
278 Posts
I have a similar problem in that when I sub on a White sub-tee yellow ghosting appears where the sub paper was. Don't really offer sub tees but would be good for future reference where I'm going wrong.

Ps. Don't have this issue with other substrates, not tried on 100% poly tho.

· Registered
252 Posts
Ok, back on the case.

Tried to lower the temp, time and pressure in different combos and no luck so far.

It does appear that when I try to sublimate on a RED 100% polyester shirt, that I do see the shirt color on the transfer paper after sublimation, as if the dye is being extracted by the paper.

I'm using TextPrint-R from Conde.

I'm going to keep trying different combinations.
I'm using the same paper. still no luck on any brand I try.
It upsets me because I was under the impression that I could dye sub black ink onto red, blue green etc..
I have stopped trying because I am tired of ruining expensive blanks.
I'm thinking this is why Vapor doesn't make any darker colors.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Problem Solved! I used a transfer paper from mydyeshop.com, a sample they'd sent me months ago. I figured it couldn't hurt. It's perfect. I went 350 for 30 seconds and NO FOAM on a Red Badger shirt. No creases, no color of shirt extraction to the paper, color of design is perfect, no problems what so ever!

Until I went to the mydyeshop.com website, apparently they've been sued by someone for patent infringement.

Back to the drawing board to find a different transfer paper. I did the same printing, same design on TextPrint-R, doesn't come close to the mydyeshop paper.

Oh so disappointing. If anyone knows of the "other" paper, please let me know.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't know the pressure, I don't have a heat press that provides that information. I have a knob that I control the pressure.

I used both papers with the same image on the same shirt with the same pressure and temp and the mydyeshop.com paper outperformed the TextPrint-R paper.

The mydyeshop paper left a vibrant black image, no creases (I didn't use foam), and didn't lift the red from the garment onto the paper.

The TextPrint-R left a crease (I suppose because it's thicker), lifted the red and didn't provide a complete and vibrant transfer.

I kept all the variables equal between presses except the transfer paper.

Do you have issues with color extracting from the colored garment?

· Banned
2,679 Posts
Just as an FYI - mydyeshop.com (wing wing) is shut down due to threatened legal action by one of the paper manufacturers. We tested the paper and can confirm it produced great quality prints with pricing that was literally 1/2 the price of TexPrint. Considering the amount of rolls we use it had the potential for huge savings. Dye sub is the most locked up industry I have ever come across. One can only imagine what prices would be if there was true competition amongst manufacturers.

· Registered
252 Posts
I don't know the pressure, I don't have a heat press that provides that information. I have a knob that I control the pressure.

I used both papers with the same image on the same shirt with the same pressure and temp and the mydyeshop.com paper outperformed the TextPrint-R paper.

The mydyeshop paper left a vibrant black image, no creases (I didn't use foam), and didn't lift the red from the garment onto the paper.

The TextPrint-R left a crease (I suppose because it's thicker), lifted the red and didn't provide a complete and vibrant transfer.

I kept all the variables equal between presses except the transfer paper.

Do you have issues with color extracting from the colored garment?
I have been having the same issue with the color lifting and I am using the same paper from conde.
the garments that give me trouble are by Badger, Augusta and Holloway.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.