T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am reading so much conflicting information on graphics workflow. Some suggest to do all designs in CMYK and others say do it in RGB.

I am using Corel Draw and print to an Ecotank et-2720 using cheap Chinese ink (I do not believe there is any difference in the 100 different ink sellers on Amazon). I also just got in a Epson f-570.

Do I design in RGB or CMYK? Should I print directly from Corel Draw? What settings should I use in Corel Draw?

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
How do you print CMYK with an 8 color printer?
Most 4 color printers will not print it right either...
Just use RGB.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am reading so much conflicting information on graphics workflow. Some suggest to do all designs in CMYK and others say do it in RGB.

I am using Corel Draw and print to an Ecotank et-2720 using cheap Chinese ink (I do not believe there is any difference in the 100 different ink sellers on Amazon). I also just got in a Epson f-570.

Do I design in RGB or CMYK? Should I print directly from Corel Draw? What settings should I use in Corel Draw?
Yes, design in RGB for sure. While you can print directly from your design software, you will get a much better result printing through a sublimation RIP. The difference is immediately noticeable as printing direct, the page is printed quickly whereas through a RIP, it takes a lot longer with more passes of the printhead.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. Took a bit of trial and error and I now have the F-570 printing accurately. I also converted a ET-2720 and using the same process have that printing accurately as well.

Before I was designing in CMYK and lettings Corel Draw convert. Now I design in RGB and let the printers do the conversion.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Thanks everyone. Took a bit of trial and error and I now have the F-570 printing accurately. I also converted a ET-2720 and using the same process have that printing accurately as well.
Hey! Maybe you can start a thread comparing the two printers. You know, besides the size difference. How's the quality of the print coming out of the $200 printer as compared to the print coming out of the printer that costs several thousands of $.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey! Maybe you can start a thread comparing the two printers. You know, besides the size difference. How's the quality of the print coming out of the $200 printer as compared to the print coming out of the printer that costs several thousands of $.
Just got the f570 yesterday finally! Don't have a tonne of info from my use yet, but a few quick thoughts from me. I had a 2720, but then got a 3760 instead. First, comparing the 2720 and 3760, the 3760 is faster. (2720 - Color: 5.0 ISO ppm 3760 - Color: 8.0 ISO ppm) That did make a difference, especially when trying to print and press testing colors, as the press was on, and I was waiting "forever" for a print to come out. lol My Old Workforces (1100, 7710, 7720 were way faster)
Print quality, for subbing on fabric, seemed the same, and seems the same for the f570. I don't do hard substrates, so I imagine a quality difference may be seen on that kind of hard surface photo subbing like alluminun?

In the 3760, I got the Epson ink for the f170/f570 to try. Could not get the right colors by default. Most bright colors seemed fine, but Grey was brown. Went through many hours of changing the pirnter color settings and got useabl results, but not great.
The F570, printing the same color chart sample, printed exact on the first try by default, with the same ink.

Also, the 570, for any kind of business, is well worth it. Takes sheets very easily, no need to remove the roll to do that. I tried the sub paper (A4) I already had (random cheap Amazon company brand) and Asub and results were as good for me as the Epson paper. Handles paper really well, while the sheet feeder on the small ecotanks is a bit of a pain, not a removable tray. Also the 3760, and I assume most other eco tanks (maybe not the 15000) don't have a touch screen. You have to use the buttons, and it is really annoying in this day and age!

The 570 comes with 2 sets of sub ink (large 140ml bottles), so thats almost $160, compared to buying Cobra, etc for the small ecotank. Also comes with 3 rolls of paper (approx $68).
For $2000 I am really happy not to fight with color, paper, lost time in workflow. It feels like a professional piece of shop equipment.

I was really hoping the Epson ink would just "work" in the 3760, but it didn't, and there are no profiles or anything that I can see.
I will probably drain the 3760 and put my now unused Cobra ink in it and see if that might print more accurate colors.

·
Administrator
14,355 Posts
The 570 comes with 2 sets of sub ink (large 140ml bottles), so thats almost $160, compared to buying Cobra, etc for the small ecotank. Also comes with 3 rolls of paper (approx $68).
For $2000 I am really happy not to fight with color, paper, lost time in workflow. It feels like a professional piece of shop equipment.
Where did you find the F570 for $2,000?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Where did you find the F570 for $2,000?
Sorry, I know I WAY rounded down... lol. It was $2500, but I guess I am subconsiously justifying. $268 worth of supplies (ink/paper) I would have bought anyway, and it was delivered free as the dealer was local. Got it from Buffalo Imaging in SoCal.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just tried a test on my 3760 that I had filled with Epson Sub ink and could not get dial in colors. I printed using the f570 profile that installed with my f570 setup, and got a better result than I ever have. Have to try some more files to see how good it actually is, but very promising. Obviously, there were no files for the 3760. I assume the f170 also has the same (or slightly tweaked) profiles as well, but I could only install the package when I had a printer to install. Couldn't find those profiles anywhere to download on their own.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts