T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for the best way to do t shirt graphics. This may be a case of personal preference. What is the better way? Sublimation with gel, or cad cut transfers? I am asking because i am looking to buy a Ricoh 3300 printer and Sawgrass inks.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Tony, you may find these threads worthwhile to read:
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/general-t-shirt-selling-discussion/t37985.html
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/general-t-shirt-selling-discussion/t48532.html

If you have a heat press already, I would suggest to order samples of different transfers (ink jet, vinyl, dye-sub, plastisol...) press them, wash them and see the results.

A lot depends on what you are planning to do - what type of shirts you want to print, who is your target market, etc.

Sublimation is only suitable for light polyester fabrics.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Ok ,
What about cad cut solvent ink transfers compared to inkjet transfers? Which process is the best?
If you have the money to invest in a solvent ink printer (with cutter, or a separate cutter), you likely won't even offer standard ink jet transfers, unless it's by special customer request. Many of us cannot afford a solvent ink printer, which can easily cost more than a good 6-color screen printing press, so already one of the options is removed from the table.

If you're looking to buy already-made transfers, then I think the better option is the transfers, assuming you are in a position to order enough of them to make up the minimum quantity. They're pretty expensive when you order just one or a few.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After reading and listening to people who are suppose to know what they are doing, I have decided to go with the Ricoh 3030 with Chromablast inks and do the contour cutting with Roland gx 24 , if my cutter deal comes through. If it doesnt come through I am going to look at the prism jet setup from sign warehouse. Either way i am gonna be doing contour cutting.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
With a cutter you can do vinyl transfers, too. Chromablast is for cotton but it is only suited for white or very light colors, so you have the same issues as with sublimation except that you can use cotton instead of polyester fabric. With the Chromablast you will get a yellow ring around your prints so make sure that you contour cut very close to the edges of your designs. While it looks terrible, it does wash out so that it is visible only under bright lights or sunlight. I haven't done Chromablast for several years so I don't know if they've come up with a method for doing it on dark shirts yet or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I have decided to go with the Ricoh 3110 with sublijet inks. I will continue to do transfers as i am now. When I need to print, i will use dark jet film, sublijet ink, and contour cut with my Roland. This is my " baby step"
if you understand.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.