T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are starting a business. We currently have a Expert II vinyl cutter and a sg400 sublimation printer. We need to find a printer or sublimation printer that will allow us to do dark shirts, cotton shirts, and detailed designs that won't break the bank. Please help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Josh,

If you are looking for a method to transfer images onto dark garments, your most cost effective route will be using inkjet transfer paper designed specifically for dark garments. This method allows you to use almost any inkjet printer to print off the images and if you have a heat press will be able to transfer those images onto a dark garment. I know that you mentioned sublimation however that process was never really intended for garment heat transfer however, you can use sublimation to transfer images onto 100% polyester garments in white to light grey.

The vinyl cutter will come on handy as you have the GCC Expert II LX model which carries the contour cutting option. This feature allows you to cut out the contour of your image from standard dark transfer paper so that you are only transferring the cut out portion of the media. If you do not cut the image out or at least cutting it out by hand, you are most likely going to be transferring over the entire sheet of paper. (8.5" x 11" or plus size)

Kristopher
Heat Press Nation

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is it true that once you use sub ink you cant switch back to regular ink. I have a Epson 1430 I use for my transparence's, but I have a lot of requests for sub ink socks. Any info on the inks would be a big help.

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Is it true that once you use sub ink you cant switch back to regular ink. I have a Epson 1430 I use for my transparence's, but I have a lot of requests for sub ink socks. Any info on the inks would be a big help.
That is only true if you have a CIS and don't clean it out.

Carts can be replaced or swapped between ink types without having to purge inks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That is only true if you have a CIS and don't clean it out.

Carts can be replaced or swapped between ink types without having to purge inks.
well, I do have two CIS because I accidently ordered two. so as long as I keep the ink separate I can use the same printer? (as long as I keep the ink separate)

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
well, I do have two CIS because I accidently ordered two. so as long as I keep the ink separate I can use the same printer? (as long as I keep the ink separate)
It's a pain to switch CIS around but it can be done. I would suggest you get 2 printers.

Carts are easy to swap, CIS not so easy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You could have a local DTG printer do the Dark shirts for you. Way less investment.
Or you could buy a used DTG printer. Many good ones out there. There are local American manufacturers that offer refurbished ones.

·
Registered
625 Posts
You can sublimate to dark cotton garments using white toner, sublimation ink and Image Clip for Dark paper.
[email protected]

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
The attached photo is a sample from Atttransfer that I married the A and B sheet to weed out excess white background then pressed the A sheet on 100% cotton. The registration was a bit off because I did not tape the transfers together when I married them. The color was really vivid and the black is true black.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I print my dark cotton garments with a discharge cotton sublimation coating formula.
For the cotton skirt, I rolled on the formula, heat cured, then sublimated the image.
For the rayon shirt, I also rolled on the formula, heat cured, and sublimated.

It's both convenient and cost effective for small runs or large productions.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
I print my dark cotton garments with a discharge cotton sublimation coating formula.
For the cotton skirt, I rolled on the formula, heat cured, then sublimated the image.
For the rayon shirt, I also rolled on the formula, heat cured, and sublimated.

It's both convenient and cost effective for small runs or large productions.
I was considering doing it but not sublimation but laser transfer for light. What is the brand of discharge are you using. Does it stink? Do you wash the shirt before delivery?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts