T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been curious about adding sublim to our offerings but where to start what printer to buy, whats the best ink, whats the price difference, how well does it work.

Been doing huge amounts of yellow safety reflective vests with transfers been turning out well but curious how a sub dye would work. yes they are 100% polyester.

Any one want to sell me a few before I laydown money on printer etc

· Registered
8,073 Posts
There are only a few printers that have sublimation inks available. They are either certain Epson units or a couple Ricoh printers. Keep it simple buy sawgrass inks and charge accordingly. Stay away from Chinese unless you are good at making the appropiate ICC profile. Remember sublimation is for,100% white or lightpastel garments

· Registered
66 Posts
you need to have a good heat press too, as the other guys said stay away from China stuff, if you have idea to buy a small printer like Epson WF1100, the option is only one: Sawgrass.
They have a patented that allow only them to sell sub ink for small printer; for a bigger printer like Mimaki or Roland, I would stay with Manukian, Sawgrass too.
or buy a Sawgrass bulk system
and after buy ink from Manukian, it'll cost 80-100$ x 1/4 gallon ...after depends what is your job, I mean only t-shirt or banner and flag too.

around 300-400$ Epson WF1100+bulk system+4 inks and some ICC profiles, Sawgrass is the most reliable in this case, good assistance too, plus they're a US company who speak your same language ;)

Sent from my iPhone using TShirtForums app - ddante

· Registered
70 Posts
Just to add to all the good advice here...

NO CHINA!! SAWGRASS AND EPSON/RICOH PRINTERS & INKS ONLY AND A DECENT PRESS... Just my advice... Will save you a massive Ball-Ache in the long run.

Also, just to ensure you know what your limitations are, 100% polyester only. Although it will seemingly print onto cotton or other such when first attempted - Just try seeing what happens when you wash it.

· Registered
70 Posts
Just to add, DYE_SUB is all about getting the most vibrancy of ink into the carrier so you can transfer it to the garment. Cheap inks/equipment will only achieve a fraction of what is required for a vibrant lasting print. A printer with the proper ink will ensure enough ink is laid down onto the carrier sheet whilst a decent heat press with a consistent pressure and heat distribution across it's platen will ensure that enough ink is transferred into the fabric.

· Registered
6,573 Posts
you need to have a good heat press too, as the other guys said stay away from China stuff, if you have idea to buy a small printer like Epson WF1100, the option is only one: Sawgrass.
They have a patented that allow only them to sell sub ink for small printer; for a bigger printer like Mimaki or Roland, I would stay with Manukian, Sawgrass too.
or buy a Sawgrass bulk system
and after buy ink from Manukian, it'll cost 80-100$ x 1/4 gallon ...after depends what is your job, I mean only t-shirt or banner and flag too.

around 300-400$ Epson WF1100+bulk system+4 inks and some ICC profiles, Sawgrass is the most reliable in this case, good assistance too, plus they're a US company who speak your same language ;)

The Sawgrass patent (within it's claim scope) is valid for all sizes of printers, it has nothing to do with carrage length. Sawgrass allows others to license the patent for larger printers (>42 inch) for a fee. There are no small format printer restrictions in the patent.

For example ...

InkTec & Sawgrass Technologies sign license agreement for sublimation technology

This large format myth is perpetually propagated in forums for some reason.

Patent in question for your reference, no size limitations in the patent claims and language.

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/attachments/30353d1339108737-sublimation-ink-need-mugs-us5488907.pdf

· Registered
70 Posts
Indeed, I use a company up north to do my large format fabric banners and flags and they do it all dye-sub, got bleedin' massive bits of kit up there - and they run a pair of 3 meter mimaki's with dye-sub inks - Probably SawGrass too.

· Registered
66 Posts
The Sawgrass patent (within it's claim scope) is valid for all sizes of printers, it has nothing to do with carrage length. Sawgrass allows others to license the patent for larger printers (>42 inch) for a fee. There are no small format printer restrictions in the patent.

For example ...

InkTec & Sawgrass Technologies sign license agreement for sublimation technology

Patent in question for your reference, no size limitations in the patent claims and language.

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/attachments/30353d1339108737-sublimation-ink-need-mugs-us5488907.pdf
Nice info, very accurate.
...the myth? it is "advertise" from the other brands.
When I was asking for inks the answer was always the same: we can't sell our ink for printer smaller than 42".
for example in Europe you can find only Sawgrass for small printers, in wide format the most use Manukian or JTech

· Registered
6,573 Posts
Nice info, very accurate.
...the myth? it is "advertise" from the other brands.
When I was asking for inks the answer was always the same: we can't sell our ink for printer smaller than 42".
for example in Europe you can find only Sawgrass for small printers, in wide format the most use Manukian or JTech
Most in the US selling sub inks for large format have a statement in their product brochures and/or website stating that they license their inks.

In the US Sawgrass sells to both large and small format printers under a Sawgrass branding.

Large format suppliers are not implying in their advertsing that the inks are exempt from USPTO 5,488,907 because the printers are larger.

For example

GO Xtreme Dye Sub Ink- 2 Liter

(click the specifications tab on the webpage)

"Q. Are the GO Xtreme inks offered by Graphics One covered by a patent license?
A. Since starting in the large format dye sublimation business, Graphics One has only sold licensed ink under U.S. Patent No. 5,488,907. Graphics One has a policy of adhering to all international commerce rules, and the offering of Xtreme inks is no exception.

Q. Does the license contain a limit on the printer size in which the inks can legally be used?
A. The licensing agreement states the ink must be used only on inkjet printers with a carriage width of 42-inches or more. As a policy, GO will not sell to anyone who indicates Xtreme inks will be used on a printer with a carriage width less than 42 inches.

· Registered
66 Posts
Most in the US selling sub inks for large format have a statement in their product brochures and/or website stating that they license their inks.

In the US Sawgrass sells to both large and small format printers under a Sawgrass branding.

Large format suppliers are not implying in their advertsing that the inks are exempt from USPTO 5,488,907 because the printers are larger.

For example

GO Xtreme Dye Sub Ink- 2 Liter

(click the specifications tab on the webpage)

"Q. Are the GO Xtreme inks offered by Graphics One covered by a patent license?
A. Since starting in the large format dye sublimation business, Graphics One has only sold licensed ink under U.S. Patent No. 5,488,907. Graphics One has a policy of adhering to all international commerce rules, and the offering of Xtreme inks is no exception.

Q. Does the license contain a limit on the printer size in which the inks can legally be used?
A. The licensing agreement states the ink must be used only on inkjet printers with a carriage width of 42-inches or more. As a policy, GO will not sell to anyone who indicates Xtreme inks will be used on a printer with a carriage width less than 42 inches.

You're right, I moved in US years ago I meet a Sawgrass technician and other people who works there, in US I did few installations for Monti (calender in particular), so I had the occasion to see Sowgrass product very close.
They sell a good package (inks and software), the technicians are professional, nothing to say.
If I had to do something I go with them for sure, the most important part using digital sublimation it's to have a reliable support.
The sublimation word is full of liars sellers, I saw many desperate situations, customers who thought to save few dollars at the end they spent 5 times as much, lost customers and made bad impression.
Sublimation is not so difficult either easy, important to have the right products.
The exception does not rule, in same case we can see user without problems using the cheeper stuffs in the market, lucky them ;)

· Banned
2,679 Posts
You're right, I moved in US years ago I meet a Sawgrass technician and other people who works there, in US I did few installations for Monti (calender in particular), so I had the occasion to see Sowgrass product very close.
They sell a good package (inks and software), the technicians are professional, nothing to say.
If I had to do something I go with them for sure, the most important part using digital sublimation it's to have a reliable support.
The sublimation word is full of liars sellers, I saw many desperate situations, customers who thought to save few dollars at the end they spent 5 times as much, lost customers and made bad impression.
Sublimation is not so difficult either easy, important to have the right products.
The exception does not rule, in same case we can see user without problems using the cheeper stuffs in the market, lucky them ;)
Sawgrass ink, specifically Artainium, is one of the poorest quality inks on the market. Colors are average at best and their ink is old school, clogs and destroys print heads in very short time.

I know of no one personally in wide format that uses their ink.

· Registered
66 Posts
may in Europe Manukian and JTeck are the most used but in US Sawgrass are used from many company in wide format, company who produce big banner, flyer wings etc. (sorry but I don't know the correct name of that item)
I saw them using Sawgrass, and always installed on Mimaki, they work 2shift sometimes and they have no problems at all.

· Banned
2,679 Posts
may in Europe Manukian and JTeck are the most used but in US Sawgrass are used from many company in wide format, company who produce big banner, flyer wings etc. (sorry but I don't know the correct name of that item)
I saw them using Sawgrass, and always installed on Mimaki, they work 2shift sometimes and they have no problems at all.

I stand by my statement - Artainum ink is poor quailty colors and destroys printheads. Any large format Sawgrass acounts would be using Sublim which is a higher quality ink but by no means stands above others such as J-Teck.

The great part about dye sublimation, especially wide format, is there is zero on going support needed from a company like Sawgrass or any ink manufacture. Once your profile is set it is set. Not sure what kind of support is needed from such.

· Registered
66 Posts
I stand by my statement - Artainum ink is poor quailty colors and destroys printheads. Any large format Sawgrass acounts would be using Sublim which is a higher quality ink but by no means stands above others such as J-Teck.

The great part about dye sublimation, especially wide format, is there is zero on going support needed from a company like Sawgrass or any ink manufacture. Once your profile is set it is set. Not sure what kind of support is needed from such.
I don't need any support too,
only because I know what cause many issue.
but for people who decide to start now, from my point of view they can find a good help with Sawgrass.
After that, it's obvious that Sawgrass doesn't care of you if you insist to bother them saying than inks on cotton fade after wash, when they explain to you that sublimation doesn't work on cotton and you insist to do it ..."you" used an example, I not talking of you personally ;)
There are many people out there with no knowledge and skill.
Reading that you're using wide format it mean that your are 5 steps ahead from who use a desktop inkjet.
question: do you transfer using a heat calender only on polyester fabric?
Have you never did something on sheet metal, glass, wood and other using a 5'x10' vacuum heat press?
Have you never follow the process for the above mentioned material to allow them to accept the sublimation?
Have you never tried to develop a system to print ski or snowboard sublimating on specific material provided by the customer, material produced only from one company in the world, and they don't want to tell how the composition is?
What are you big headache in your sublimation work?
How many ICC profile do you use in your basic jobs?
and that profiles are the standard one or are they customized with your needs?
;)

...the race is open my friend :)

· Registered
2,572 Posts
No one should buy a printer until you have a feel for Dye subbing.

The hardest and most expensive part of Dye subbing is the printing. Just read on this forum, all of the issues under the topic of dye sub printing. Small format/large format. Inks that Don't work the way you want them to/ colors, banning, etc. Printers of all kinds and brands that do not work when you need them. READ this forum and find out that what I'm typing is true.

Anybody can use a cheap or expensive heat press.
Anybody can read a label and use 100% poly coated product.
99% of the problem issues come from the Printer.

Solution Buy transfer ready to press and build a good biz in the dye sub arena. You will control and know your cost this way and make money. You will not be joining the list of Thousands of post on this forum and others that wine about their PRINTING PROBLEMS 24 hours a day.

Once you have a GOOD feel about Dye subbing and have read and learned what not to buy go to a trade show and LEARN some more. Then buy what you think you can MAKE MORE MONEY with. Once you add it all up, YOU may conclude that buying transfer is still the way to GO.

Best of luck to all that want to add DYE SUBBING. to their biz.
Pm me if you wish more info.

· Registered
66 Posts
No one should buy a printer until you have a feel for Dye subbing.

The hardest and most expensive part of Dye subbing is the printing. Just read on this forum, all of the issues under the topic of dye sub printing. Small format/large format. Inks that Don't work the way you want them to/ colors, banning, etc. Printers of all kinds and brands that do not work when you need them. READ this forum and find out that what I'm typing is true.

Anybody can use a cheap or expensive heat press.
Anybody can read a label and use 100% poly coated product.
99% of the problem issues come from the Printer.

Solution Buy transfer ready to press and build a good biz in the dye sub arena. You will control and know your cost this way and make money. You will not be joining the list of Thousands of post on this forum and others that wine about their PRINTING PROBLEMS 24 hours a day.

Once you have a GOOD feel about Dye subbing and have read and learned what not to buy go to a trade show and LEARN some more. Then buy what you think you can MAKE MORE MONEY with. Once you add it all up, YOU may conclude that buying transfer is still the way to GO.

Best of luck to all that want to add DYE SUBBING. to their biz.
Pm me if you wish more info.
you're right it is not easy as the vendors want to show us.
unfortunately ...being involve in this market I can't say much

· Banned
2,679 Posts
I don't need any support too,
only because I know what cause many issue.
but for people who decide to start now, from my point of view they can find a good help with Sawgrass.
After that, it's obvious that Sawgrass doesn't care of you if you insist to bother them saying than inks on cotton fade after wash, when they explain to you that sublimation doesn't work on cotton and you insist to do it ..."you" used an example, I not talking of you personally ;)
There are many people out there with no knowledge and skill.
Reading that you're using wide format it mean that your are 5 steps ahead from who use a desktop inkjet.
question: do you transfer using a heat calender only on polyester fabric?
Have you never did something on sheet metal, glass, wood and other using a 5'x10' vacuum heat press?
Have you never follow the process for the above mentioned material to allow them to accept the sublimation?
Have you never tried to develop a system to print ski or snowboard sublimating on specific material provided by the customer, material produced only from one company in the world, and they don't want to tell how the composition is?
What are you big headache in your sublimation work?
How many ICC profile do you use in your basic jobs?
and that profiles are the standard one or are they customized with your needs?
;)

...the race is open my friend :)

"the race is open my friend"? Seriously do not understand a single point that you are trying to make with your jumbled post about skis, vacums, etc.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.