T-Shirt Forums banner

Sublimation query

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  DrivingZiggy 
#1 ·
hi,

I need advice - can I print HDPE objects like gaming coins in the sublimation printer that used for T-shirt printing?

#3 ·
Many different plastics will sublimate without a coating as, by their very nature, they already contain polymers. I've successfully sublimated images onto PE (polyethylene), Mylar and cast acrylic before. My advice is to try it and see for yourself. Are plastic milk bottles HDPE? Cut a test piece from a milk bottle and try pressing it.

WARNING! When experimenting like this, take note that some plastics give off toxic fumes when heated, and some plastics will MELT in your press, so make sure you run your first tests between two sheets of Teflon to avoid damaging your press with molten plastic.

#4 ·
can I print HDPE objects like gaming coins in the sublimation printer that used for T-shirt printing?
The answer is no!

You can theoretically sublimate most waterproof polymers, as long as:
a) the melting point is above 165 °C
b) the surface layer is translucent.

HDPE will melt at around 130 °C, so it will not work.

WARNING! When experimenting like this, take note that some plastics give off toxic fumes.
Frying or roasting food will also produce acrylamide (highly toxic).
Small quantities will not kill you, and working in a well ventilated environment is always recommended.
Chronic exposure is of course a different story.

#6 · (Edited)
Sublimation printing is usually best suited for polyester-based materials, like T-shirts. HDPE (High-Density Polyethylene), on the other hand, is a different type of plastic. It doesn't work well with sublimation because it doesn't have the polyester content required for the ink to transfer effectively.
If you're looking for a suitable plastic for gaming coins, you might want to explore https://wkaiglobal.com/pages/bottle-grade-pet. It's a more compatible option for sublimation printing.
Hope this helps, and good luck with your gaming coin project!

#7 ·
Sublimation printing, typically used for T-shirts, relies on a special process that may not work well with HDPE objects like gaming coins. HDPE lacks the required surface properties to bond with sublimation dyes effectively. Therefore, it's unlikely to produce satisfactory results on HDPE materials using a sublimation printer designed for T-shirt printing.