T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Here I go, a few months ago the company that I work for lost a valuable and informative employee who was fairly well acquainted with all things sublimation. Now that she is gone we are trying to pick up the pieces and get it back to where it neesd to be.

My first question comes about from the process of sublimationg Water Bottles and Stainless Steel Travel Mugs.

The problem is that the color black seems to always turn out more faded than it should be (or I think it is suppose to be ). I'm not entirely sure why this is happening. On stainless steel mugs the black either turns out brown or green.

Now, the last girl here left a note with settings for the Travel Mugs:

400 Degrees, Lightest Pressure, 5 seconds

Reading another thread from another user about starting to sublimate stainless steel travel mugs the settings should be:

400 degrees, Lightest pressure, 4 minutes (mugs here can't fit in the press with an insert).

If anyone can give me a hand I would truly appreciate it! Thanks!

· Registered
8,073 Posts
setting at 6 seconds is probably dead wrong. I have never had any sublimation substrate that had only 5 seconds press time. I am assuming that you are using the correct ICC profile..with the black turning either brown or green leads one to think you could have a plugged nozzle..have you done a nozzle check? if you want, send me a PM with contact info and I will call

· Registered
200 Posts
Hi everyone,

Here I go, a few months ago the company that I work for lost a valuable and informative employee who was fairly well acquainted with all things sublimation. Now that she is gone we are trying to pick up the pieces and get it back to where it neesd to be.

My first question comes about from the process of sublimationg Water Bottles and Stainless Steel Travel Mugs.

The problem is that the color black seems to always turn out more faded than it should be (or I think it is suppose to be ). I'm not entirely sure why this is happening. On stainless steel mugs the black either turns out brown or green.

Now, the last girl here left a note with settings for the Travel Mugs:

400 Degrees, Lightest Pressure, 5 seconds

Reading another thread from another user about starting to sublimate stainless steel travel mugs the settings should be:

400 degrees, Lightest pressure, 4 minutes (mugs here can't fit in the press with an insert).

If anyone can give me a hand I would truly appreciate it! Thanks!

First, if your mug has a plastic liner inside, make sure you disassemble the mug before you press it. Should be about half the time of a ceramic mug. 1 to 2 minutes at 400 deg F.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies --- I performed a nozzle check and clean as well on the Epson 4800. I do notice that the black isn't printing out black, it is more of a dark brown color -- what would be the cause of this? Should I be looking at replacing the jet black ink cartridge?

As for the actual pressing procedure, what kind of pressure should I be using? I think there is a setting from 1-6. Appreciate all the helpful people on here, makes my life a little easier with all this being thrown at me.

http://www.vanbui.com/images/nozzle.jpg

· Registered
200 Posts
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies --- I performed a nozzle check and clean as well on the Epson 4800. I do notice that the black isn't printing out black, it is more of a dark brown color -- what would be the cause of this? Should I be looking at replacing the jet black ink cartridge?

As for the actual pressing procedure, what kind of pressure should I be using? I think there is a setting from 1-6. Appreciate all the helpful people on here, makes my life a little easier with all this being thrown at me.

[media]http://www.vanbui.com/images/nozzle.jpg[/media]
What kind of sublimation ink are you using? Is this a hybrid system? (ie chromablast & sublijet)

· Registered
8,073 Posts
This maybe a silly question...but when you are going to print, do you select the epson 4800 or do you select the sublijet IQ driver??? the IQ driver should correct the color issue. or I guess you should make sure the sublijet IQ driver was installed...if not you can contact sawgrass to download it

· Registered
200 Posts
Hi there,

I'm looking at the ink package and it says the following:

SubliJet IQ
Sublimation Inkjet Cartridge

For Use With Epson Stylus Pro 4800
Your test print colors look normal to me. Sublimation ink on paper always looks light and faded compared to the final heat pressed colors.

Call sawgrass at 1-888-253-1679 to confirm your ink colors are loaded in the correct slots. They will also walk you through the overall setup of your system.

Instead of testing on mugs, you might want to press some poly fabric or a mousepad for 45-60 seconds at 400 deg to check your setup. You can get yards of 100% white poly fabric at a local fabric store.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.