T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
293 Posts
I'm assuming you mean vellum? If it were to print dark enough without running, sublimation ink's cost per cartridge is way more than regular inkjet ink cartridges. If you plan on printing film positives with it, it would be cheaper in the long run to use a separate printer. Plus, waterproof film positives will give a better image with an inkjet over vellum.

· Registered
293 Posts
Been there, done that...lol. We had to use our large format Mutoh eco solvent printer with clear vinyl to do a rush job when we unexpectedly ran out of film positives once. It worked, but the positive was a one time use and when the film came in, we printed it correctly to have on hand for future orders, which was a good decision because they reordered a couple weeks later. We chose to print on the Mutoh over the sublimation printer strictly with ink cost in mind to print those particular images.

We print on the waterproof inkjet films only because we control our dot gain and factor in the density so our output is consistent and our screens expose all of our halftones every time. It really removes a ton of variables that can halt production trying to figure out what went wrong if an order doesn't print correctly right out of the gate.

· Registered
8,278 Posts
I guess it all depends on ink your using for films and sublimation. I spend $100 on a liter on black film ink. I spend $40 for 400ml of sublimation ink. So for me it’s a wash on cost. The difference is the film ink definitely blocks out the UV much better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.