T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I run a t-shirt running business (heat-transfer) but am keen to add a few more products onto my website - namely, photogifts.

I understand that for mugs, mousemats, placemats etc, a sublimation printer would make better products rather than just using my Oki laser printer.

I have narrowed my choices to two, and would gratefully take on board any advice that current owners have to offer!!

Ricoh GX3300
-Cheapest price I've found: £300
-Cheapest price for I've found for ink: average of £1.33 per ml
-Prints up to A4 size

Epsom 1400
-Cheapest price I've found: £223
-Cheapest price I've found for ink: average of 0.43p per ml
-Prints up to A3 size

The Epsom looks like the obvious choice; cheaper and larger prints. However it is a inkjet printer, whereas the Ricoh is a bonafide sublimation printer. After hours of research online, I'm afraid I'm still confused as to what advantages the Ricoh can bring to me to justify its extra expense!

Any tips or pointers would be great!

· Registered
680 Posts
The Epson 1400 is an ink jet printer and can be used for sublimation. If you want to do placemats. You will need a printer that print 13 x 19 paper. The Ricoh 3300 prints up to legal size paper. The Ricoh 7000 and 1400 print 13 x 19 paper.And, both are great printers.

· Registered
2 Posts
I have had many Epsons in the past and they all clog. I always forget to run a print everyday.

I have spent hours unclogging them and spent a fortune on ink doing head cleans.

I was so fed up that I bought the Rico on the assurance of Magic Touch that it worked and did not clog.

I have had it for 3 months now and it prints perfectly everytime so far.

My only regret I think is that I bought the A4 Rico and I should have got the A3.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your advice everyone, really appreciate it - it's hard to see the wood from the trees sometimes, especially when you're a newbie like me!

We opted for the Ricoh 3300 in the end (- would have liked to splash out on the 7000 but that's always an option for another year.)

Was a bit shocked by the cartridge size/£price, but seems the Sublijet system can be cost effective enough in the long run - plus, as SteveBassi says, don't fancy the idea of a bulk system that clogs ...

Will keep you all posted with how we get along, but thanks again ;)

· Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for your advice everyone, really appreciate it - it's hard to see the wood from the trees sometimes, especially when you're a newbie like me!

We opted for the Ricoh 3300 in the end (- would have liked to splash out on the 7000 but that's always an option for another year.)

Was a bit shocked by the cartridge size/£price, but seems the Sublijet system can be cost effective enough in the long run - plus, as SteveBassi says, don't fancy the idea of a bulk system that clogs ...

so how is going i wonder if You have first expresion ?
You will go again for it ??

How many prints You can do from cartriges ??

Thanks !!

· Registered
88 Posts

any news ??

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update on the sublimation printer: - love it!

The Ricoh 3300 is a great little printer and the colour quality and richness has been ideal for the hard-substrate items we've been producing.

Definitely good advice to buy an extra set of inks though, because the 1st set get 'run through' the machine and leave you probably about 15-20% down on the cartridges.
But once you load the 2nd set that doesn't happen anymore.

Also like the fact that I don't have to do a print run and worry about the machine clogging.

So far, so very good - might one day upgrade to the A3 version, but in all fairness I'm using Legal-sized paper now and finding it suits my needs.

· Registered
231 Posts
Can you use any Ricoh printer for sublimation?...I always thought it was just epson that allowed sublimation...what is the difference between the 2 printers...is the ricoh more simpler to use for sublimation purposes?

I've always been put off sublimation in that you have to connect everything up etc...I know there are companies that can do this all for you but it all looked a bit messy and complicated with different wires hanging out the side of the printer.

I look forward to any replies.

· Registered
88 Posts
Can you use any Ricoh printer for sublimation?...I always thought it was just epson that allowed sublimation...what is the difference between the 2 printers...is the ricoh more simpler to use for sublimation purposes?

I've always been put off sublimation in that you have to connect everything up etc...I know there are companies that can do this all for you but it all looked a bit messy and complicated with different wires hanging out the side of the printer.

I look forward to any replies.
All info just above yours :)

· Registered
231 Posts
All info just above yours :)
I've read all the above but thats why I made the post...lol....I don't understand which is best. There's no background as to what the printers are. I know the epson and understand that is a standard printer that you can attach a bulk feed to but I've never heard of the Ricoh hence asking what the difference is.

I just want simplicity, and the best price/product for the outlay so wondered out of the 2 printers what is the easiest to use straight away simply for sublimation rather than looking for a duel printer for printing and sublimation.

· Registered
2 Posts
We have a Epson 1400 and it is the biggest load of junk we have ever purchased. We have spent so much time on head cleans and so much money on replacement inks that we no longer offer sublimation! We ran a sheet through every 2-3 days but understand to stop the heads clogging you have to run a sheet everyday.

Have been considering the Ricoh and thanks to the various threads on here, we shall opt for it and see if that is any better - will keep you posted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.