T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have just bought my first heat press for doing t-shirts, cups, mousemats etc. I was going to buy a sublimation printer but have now been looking at using something like the Durabrite inks.

Would using the pigmented inks be a better option (can print on cotton etc), or is it better to stay with sublimation? Can the pigmented inks be used to print on cups?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Would using the pigmented inks be a better option (can print on cotton etc), or is it better to stay with sublimation? Can the pigmented inks be used to print on cups?
Mugs, cups need to be sublimated with sublimation ink, also these items must have a polymer coating to accept the sublimation ink, there are other methods of printing on mugs and cups called pad printing.

A good reference for learning dye-sub printing would be....

DyeSub.org - An educational site for dye sublimation and digital transfer printing.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Sublimated Tees need to be 100% polyester (light colors only), transfers with pigment or textile ink should be a high cotton content like 70-80% or higher, the only other thing would be plastisol transfers which I believe can be applied to 50/50 cotton-poly mix or really any shirts that can be screen printed, I'm not really sure if that's true with 100% poly shirts.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Hi,

I have just bought my first heat press for doing t-shirts, cups, mousemats etc. I was going to buy a sublimation printer but have now been looking at using something like the Durabrite inks.

Thanks in advance.
You can also consider laser toner transfers. That process allows you to transfer to hard goods with a laser printer or laser copier. I do my transfers with a Canon wide format inkjet printer with pigmented ink. I use JPSS paper and try to stay with light color 100% cotton. I also have an Okidata laser printer that is great for transfers to hard goods.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts