T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My assumtions and please correct me if I am off target. I do heatpress vinyl and am very familiar with this process. When printing on transfer paper with sublimation...you heatpress the transfer and completely remove the paper. The only thing transfered is the design to the blank. Problem is I cant use 100% cotton blanks...is this correct? When creating transfer with pigmented inks....I need to cut out the transfer and when pressing, a backing stays on the shirt resulting in an outline of the design. With this process I can use 100% cotton shirts. Is this correct? Is there a transfer printing method that just delivers the design to the blank like sublimation that I can use 100% cotton blanks? Hope I got that fairly clear for a response?? Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
27,690 Posts
Is there a transfer printing method that just delivers the design to the blank like sublimation that I can use 100% cotton blanks?
I'm no heat press expert by any means, but it sounds like you're looking for plastisol transfers (like those you can get from silvermountaingraphics).

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rodney said:
I'm no heat press expert by any means, but it sounds like you're looking for plastisol transfers (like those you can get from silvermountaingraphics).
Thanks Rodney...obviously you have an idea of what I am looking for. Transfers that have no transfer paper border. I wi;ll look into your recommendation and see if I can get some education. Would really not like to have anything done outside...rather be in control of my own production and time schedule. I do complete custom work on the spot with heatpress vinyl but sure would like the ability to do the same in multi color or without the weeding process. At events time is everything....we are doing vinyl graphics at the same time as vinyl heatpress...so nice just to have the printer running while I am doing something else. Anyone else with suggestions or ideas please hit me!!!

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
As far as I know you have the pros/cons down accurately.

There are specific shirts made for dye sub that have cotton inners (for customer comfort) and polyester outers (for printing on), but they're not cheap.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Solmu said:
As far as I know you have the pros/cons down accurately.

There are specific shirts made for dye sub that have cotton inners (for customer comfort) and polyester outers (for printing on), but they're not cheap.
That really is the problem period!!!! The two ply shirts are expensive and I dont think what customers would actually want to put on thier bodies. I hate polyester and blended shirts...especially outside in the sun and heat!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
You're probably going to have to stick with vinyl/digital transfer/plastisol then. If you try different brands of transfer paper you might find one that is more to your liking than others.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
By the way... I thought I read somewhere that digital transfers adhere better to poly also - is this incorrect? It certainly doesn't get mentioned a lot, so maybe I'm mistaken.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you are correct on the poly thing. I am looking for more developement in this technology as I am with DGP. Sublimation looks real good but the fabric choice is way wrong.

·
Registered
605 Posts
So sublimation transfers just put the design onto the shirt..without the trasnparent backing?

Do you need a special heat press for this??

·
Premium Member
27,690 Posts
So sublimation transfers just put the design onto the shirt..without the trasnparent backing?
Dye sublimation actually puts the design INTO the garment. However, you have to use a special t-shirt type (polyester blend) and it doesn't work with dark color shirts.

If you buy a white t-shirt from zazzle.com (with something printed on it), you'll see the feel and quality of dye sub.

Here's a good article on what it is:
http://www.dyesub.org/articles/dyesubwhatisit.htm

And one on what you would need to do dye sub printing:
http://www.dyesub.org/articles/whatdoineed.php

·
Registered
605 Posts
Rodney...if you are ever in NYC area...remind me to buy you a drink!..lol

Thanks Again!

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Ken Styles said:
Do you need a special heat press for this??
Nope.

The results of dye sublimation are, in ideal conditions, very good. I have a couple of dye sub samples I'm doing some test washes on (along with my screenprinting test prints), so hopefully I'll put some scans up eventually.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts