T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would that work? Or is Sublimation only for Polyester? I have some cool shirts but they are Rayon Polyester.

Thanks!

·
Registered
623 Posts
I tried it; didn't look good. Never tried washing it as it was a swatch sample and by the way it transferred, I decided to not use it.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hi. I would be inclined to 'sacrifice' one of your shirts and see what happens. The sublimation will certainly work with the polyester component, but I have the feeling that it will possibly wash out of the rayon part and give the same faded look you get with poly cotton mixes. Could be wrong though, so I'd be inclined to give it a blast.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have not had a problem with fading. Is it possible that the paper that transfers the ink is a factor? I have only used certain dyesub transfer paper and maybe I have just been lucky....

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
It all depends on what percentage of polyester is in the mix and how it is distributed. Not all poly cotton shirts fade badly.

With a new product, it's sometimes prudent to just print up one item and subject it to a wash test.

Must admit I haven't heard of rayon for years.... Where have I been.!!!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I have used many materials like rayon and nylon and found that they do ok but lack the pop
of polyester. You may need to back off the temp to say 375 at 40 seconds. One client of
ours is big into umbrellas (nylon).

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I have used many materials like rayon and nylon and found that they do ok but lack the pop
of polyester. You may need to back off the temp to say 375 at 40 seconds. One client of
ours is big into umbrellas (nylon).

Hi David, glad to see you on the forums. I know you were always so much help when I called with a question. You say nylon, does that mean I could sublimate the back packs that are 100% nylon?

Thnaks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mardiv,

Rayon is a cellulose fiber (not a synthetic fiber) and will perform just like cotton when it comes to dye sublimation, if there is some polyester in the blend the poly will take the color and hold it, rayon will not. Nylon )and poly amides in general) will take sublimation ink however the dyes will "migrate" within the fibers over time and you will get poor wash and rub fastness.

Hope this helps,

Milabix

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mardiv,

Rayon is a cellulose fiber (not a synthetic fiber) and will perform just like cotton when it comes to dye sublimation, if there is some polyester in the blend the poly will take the color and hold it, rayon will not. Nylon )and poly amides in general) will take sublimation ink however the dyes will "migrate" within the fibers over time and you will get poor wash and rub fastness.

Hope this helps,

Milabix
yes, thanks so much for the definition and help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello, i'm from romania and I just bought an epson stylus sx 115 with ciss adaptor and heatpress machine, and wanna make some fine good t-shirts,but only a problem, here we have only 3-4 distribuitors of heattrasferpaper and they all told me that the paint will last only 10 washes... and also they don't know what kind of sublimatioan paint do i need, it's so wierd they are a little slouch... anyway, please can someone tell me if there's a much stronger durable paper than chromablast? and what kind of ink do i need?
now i have dye ink, and want to make printing with any kind of ink or paper,just tu last longer, on bumbac t-shirts,white, is it possible? thank you for your time, felix :)
www.bindiribli.ro if you wanna join or see ,thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
HOW TO SUBLIMATE ON MATERIAL OTHER THAN POLYESTER.

Needed:

photo emulsion (Michael's or any craft store will carry it)
water
spray bottle (easier for larger areas) or paint brush
cheap can of aerosol hair spray (release agent)

STEP 1: Pre press garment 5-10 secs.
STEP 2: Mix 1 part emulsion with 2 parts water (ex: 1 cup emulsion mix with 2 cups water).
STEP 3: Pour into spray bottle or use paint brush and apply mixture to garment and allow to dry 4 hrs.
STEP 4: REPEAT STEP 3
STEP 5: spray garment with hair spray and begin sublimating garment.

I tried this first on a 100% cotton washcloth, t-shirt and a pair of white socks and it worked BEAUTIFULLY!!! After the test run I prepared several items and stored them since the process is so long. Good Luck and plz let me know how it worked out for you all.
PLEASE CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE: bullymusicgang.com

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
HOW TO SUBLIMATE ON MATERIAL OTHER THAN POLYESTER.

Needed:

photo emulsion (Michael's or any craft store will carry it)
water
spray bottle (easier for larger areas) or paint brush
cheap can of aerosol hair spray (release agent)

STEP 1: Pre press garment 5-10 secs.
STEP 2: Mix 1 part emulsion with 2 parts water (ex: 1 cup emulsion mix with 2 cups water).
STEP 3: Pour into spray bottle or use paint brush and apply mixture to garment and allow to dry 4 hrs.
STEP 4: REPEAT STEP 3
STEP 5: spray garment with hair spray and begin sublimating garment.

I tried this first on a 100% cotton washcloth, t-shirt and a pair of white socks and it worked BEAUTIFULLY!!! After the test run I prepared several items and stored them since the process is so long. Good Luck and plz let me know how it worked out for you all.
PLEASE CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE: bullymusicgang.com
Umm great for a craft, but doubt you can make much money this way. ;)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sublimation can be done on Rayon Polyester, but the quality is not that bright and clear. If you want a clear and bright result so you you have to go with 100% Polyester fabric because sublimation gives a bright result only on 100% polyester

1 - 20 of 26 Posts