T-Shirt Forums banner
61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Banned
532 Posts
Anyone seen this video? This is a game changer. Some of the forum self proclaimed sublimation expert calls it a Unicorn or debunkers hate to see in the forum.

https://www.siser.com/the-guide-to-easysubli/
Game changer? Printing on vinyl then applying to a shirt? It looked more like a late night infomercial than a game changer. There is little new here.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
So now that is Sublimation just to be against it you are now comparing it to UV. Do even own a UV printer? Running out of negative comments ha. Sublimation is sublimation is Sublimation. It is a process that is used generally on anything coated substrate no matter what type of substrate it is. You can be negative all you want. It is in plain sight. Did you see the printer used? It is not UV or Echosolvent that is required to print on vinyl.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
So now that is Sublimation just to be against it you are now comparing it to UV. Do even own a UV printer? Running out of negative comments ha. Sublimation is sublimation is Sublimation. It is a process that is used generally on anything coated substrate no matter what type of substrate it is. You can be negative all you want. It is in plain sight. Did you see the printer used? It is not UV or Echosolvent that is required to print on vinyl.
What on earth are you talking about? Where did I even mention a UV printer? You haven't even read my post have you? You simply picked out 2 letters 'UV' and made an agenda of your own.

I'm certainly not going to waste my time with any further explanation as I'm sure others who HAVE read my post will know what I mean.

·
Banned
532 Posts
You have zero clue about dye sublimation or what the advantages are to a customer. Apparel made using dye sublimation is not coated. To think such makes you a fool. One of the selling points to dye sublimation is no hand, no fade, no cracking etc. Printing on vinyl then ironing on a shirt is laughable. Furthermore the infomercial clown had shirts hanging up in the background that were much more full coverage than the little paper he used - misleading to say the least.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Anyone seen this video? This is a game changer. Some of the forum self proclaimed sublimation expert calls it a Unicorn or debunkers hate to see in the forum.

https://www.siser.com/the-guide-to-easysubli/
Call me back when you don't have to cut and weed out the white if you want me to award it The Unicorn Prize. (Also it needs low hand, durability similar to JPSS, and moderate costs ... else I'm holding onto my unicorn!)

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Call me back when you don't have to cut and weed out the white if you want me to award it The Unicorn Prize. (Also it needs low hand, durability similar to JPSS, and moderate costs ... else I'm holding onto my unicorn!)

can we at least call it a narwhal?

sublimation on cotton, but not weed-free
we're getting somewhere, i can see the unicorns over yonder...

·
Registered
1,551 Posts

But it's NOT sublimation on cotton. It's sublimation onto a substrate that is then pressed onto the cotton.

They're peddling snake oil here!

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
But it's NOT sublimation on cotton. It's sublimation onto a substrate that is then pressed onto the cotton.

They're peddling snake oil here!

as per my previous posts,
you will have to stop calling ALL sublimation onto mugs, keychains, license plates, tiles, metal, etc. something else
as these too require a secondary substrate before sublimation

so please tell us what to call this process?
sublimation FOR cotton/dark fabrics?

you, and others, seem to have a very visceral reaction to this process,
and it is clouding your objectivity

do you honestly believe one of the biggest multi-national companies in the apparel decoration world is peddling snake oil?
that is just foolishness

as per the comments on the video, siser has tested this up to 50 washes

·
Banned
532 Posts
as per my previous posts,
you will have to stop calling ALL sublimation onto mugs, keychains, license plates, tiles, metal, etc. something else
as these too require a secondary substrate before sublimation

so please tell us what to call this process?
sublimation FOR cotton/dark fabrics?

you, and others, seem to have a very visceral reaction to this process,
and it is clouding your objectivity

do you honestly believe one of the biggest multi-national companies in the apparel decoration world is peddling snake oil?
that is just foolishness

as per the comments on the video, siser has tested this up to 50 washes
It really does not take a rocket scientist to understand this is nothing new nor is it something that has changed the sublimation world as the infomercial was claiming. The benefits customers look for in dye sub - no hand, no cracking, no fading etc. To compare non fabric substrates to fabric is again foolish. Why go through all the hassle of buying all this nonsense when you can simply print on vinyl, weed, and apply to shirt with products that have been around for years?

Bottom line - if you are applying vinyl to fabric regardless of the type of ink you have defeated the purpose of dye sub. I guess the earth shattering, ground breaking crap the infomercial is selling is applying by iron and not needing a heat press. Just what the industry needs - a way people can get into cheaper.

·
Banned
532 Posts
Forget the paper, I wonder if using the new Sawgrass ink at the much lower temperature setting using the standard dye sub method works?

Now if only Sawgrass ink wasn't so dang expensive.
What would the benefit be? The only thing it accomplishes is allowing more mom and pop into the mix due to not having to buy a press although I have a hard time seeing how you would get an even release with an iron.

·
Banned
532 Posts
Poly garments would tolerate the lower temperature better.

At 300F you would get less of a heat press shine/mark than you would at 350-400.
The big deal being made about being able to use an iron is a bit mystifying as higher end irons get to 400F. The issue is anything larger than the iron would be tricky to evenly heat. I noticed on the wall behind the guy had very large, almost all over prints yet his example was a very small butterfly. The other issue I did not get is - was that special Sawgrass dye sub ink as I do not see anything on their web site to indicate there is a new low heat ink? I cant imagine investing in a Ricoh printer and the ink to only then use an iron. My personal opinion is this will lead to just more people jumping into dye sub only to find out it is not as easy as seminars make it out to be to be profitable.

·
Administrator
15,484 Posts
The big deal being made about being able to use an iron is a bit mystifying as higher end irons get to 400F. The issue is anything larger than the iron would be tricky to evenly heat. I noticed on the wall behind the guy had very large, almost all over prints yet his example was a very small butterfly. The other issue I did not get is - was that special Sawgrass dye sub ink as I do not see anything on their web site to indicate there is a new low heat ink? I cant imagine investing in a Ricoh printer and the ink to only then use an iron. My personal opinion is this will lead to just more people jumping into dye sub only to find out it is not as easy as seminars make it out to be to be profitable.

You're getting too wrapped up with the iron bit. The typical application will be with a heat press. Siser should have shown the demo with a heat press then as an aside, show the iron.

suzy Homeaker is not going to have a $1,000 tied up in a printer and another $500 tied up with an optical cutter and then turn around and apply with a a $20 iron.

·
Banned
532 Posts
You're getting too wrapped up with the iron bit. The typical application will be with a heat press. Siser should have shown the demo with a heat press then as an aside, show the iron.

suzy Homeaker is not going to have a $1,000 tied up in a printer and another $500 tied up with an optical cutter and then turn around and apply with a a $20 iron.
100% agree with you but that was clearly a selling point he was emphasizing.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts

Uhm ... maybe a garden gnome? ;)

To date, the Vivid tech is the closest I've seen to a mythical beast ... and it was pretty far off in terms of costs and having a reliable/repeatable process under real world conditions with real customer art. But I think they were on the right track and that someone will eventually get the kinks ironed out on this general idea ... at least well enough for my purposes.

Most "Unicorn-Like" Process So Far:
- White dye-sub substrate
- Dye-sub ink
- "Magic" ink to self/weed release the white substrate
- Injet printer
- Heat press

Avoids Varies Bothers of Other Processes:
- No cutter
- No mating A to B
- No fermented dead-cat-salad pretreatment (DTG)
- No unreasonably expensive equipment

In the meantime, I continue to shop around for a DTG POD service. So far I am not impressed with what I have tested (far worse than a Merch by Amazon print, plus mistakes were made). With a "unicorn" I could bring this in-house (yes, or with a ~$20k DTG setup ... but I don't have the volume to justify that). So when I can bring my DTG lines in-house, then I'll part with The Unicorn Award :)

61 - 80 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.