T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Hi
here is sublimation print on 100% Pure Cotton Bags

It is done on Epson XP 255 + refillable cartridges + Extreme sublimation inkjet ink + TT transfer paper + ST Developer in powder

And it is transferred with pure household iron
As you say, it's sublimation ON pure cotton, and not sublimation IN pure cotton. Why are people still trying to pass off these methods as sublimation to cotton? I could (and did) achieve the same effect by sublimating to 3g Jet-Opaque on a 100%cotton tote bag, but I wouldn't claim that to be sublimation to cotton.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As you say, it's sublimation ON pure cotton, and not sublimation IN pure cotton. Why are people still trying to pass off these methods as sublimation to cotton? I could (and did) achieve the same effect by sublimating to 3g Jet-Opaque on a 100%cotton tote bag, but I wouldn't claim that to be sublimation to cotton.

Hi

yes you can make a sublimation on 100% Pure Cotton
You can easily compare these two images
This one is sublimation in 100% Pure Cutton

Attachments

·
Registered
1,551 Posts

Hi

yes you can make a sublimation on 100% Pure Cotton
You can easily compare these two images
This one is sublimation in 100% Pure Cutton
Am I speaking in a different language here?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes you can speak the language you like
But physical laws are same in any language

And this second image in any language is sublimation IN 100% Cotton. You can easily seen that image is In fabric not On Fabric. Same as sublimation on polyester fabric.

But if you use some other kind of ink or transfer paper or silk printing this would always be a image On fabric

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
So how many times have you wash-tested these? Would a cotton t-shirt sublimated with STC paper and powder withstand at least 50 washes without fading? Not being sarcy, just interested in knowing the answer.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So how many times have you wash-tested these? Would a cotton t-shirt sublimated with STC paper and powder withstand at least 50 washes without fading? Not being sarcy, just interested in knowing the answer.

If you treat fabrics with pre treatment as well a post treatment what you should do anway on Dark fabrics for the same reason on any DTG printer, then you would get the same result with white background

But if you are asking about sublimation in white cotton fabrics. powder is integrated in cotton fibers by suitable solvent and there is nothing to be washed till 180 st C

By the way besides DTG print how would you get this quality and detail ?????
In this case this sample below is done on Epson DX7450 + iron, Not heat press
Can you get the same details with some OKI and A + B paper and transfer for € 2000

But if you like you can print on any Color laser on CT transfer paper and merge it on this white backgrounder. Sublimation is just one option. And it is definitively not the best one.

Attachments

·
Banned
532 Posts
Can we all agree to ban anyone promoting dye sub on cotton? This has been going on for decades and unfortunately people new to dye sub actually believe these clowns.

As stated before - it is simple physics - you cannot dye sub on cotton anyone claiming otherwise is selling snake oil.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
no, we should definitely not ban it

what else would you call the process?
you have a dyesub printer and are using it to apply an image to 100% cotton/dark fabrics
is there a different process for inkjet lights versus inkjet for darks?
of course, does that mean you should not call it inkjet for darks, because it is different?

let the dyesubbers decide if it is worth their time/effort/money for the process onto cotton/dark fabrics

i'm currently testing a new process using this model,
and it is leaps and bounds above 3g or jet-opaque or dark laser transfers
as far as hand, color retention and cracking issues

although i am still early in the number of wash/dry cycles,
it is behaving a little like jpss, in that it is getting softer as the testing continues
i don't have a dyesub setup, but would consider one should the testing not go south

and what about people considering getting dyesub,
should they not know all that is available, the good, the bad and the ugly?
just like any other t-shirt decoration method, there are a range of methods to accomplish the endgoal

·
Banned
532 Posts

you have a dyesub printer and are using it to apply an image to 100% cotton
of course, does that mean you should not call it inkjet for darks, because it is different?

let the dyesubbers decide if it is worth their time/effort/money for the process onto cotton/dark fabrics

it is behaving a little like jpss, in that it is getting softer as the testing continues
i don't have a dyesub setup, but would consider one should the testing not go south
The issue is simple - many if not most of the people that come to the dye sub section are relatively new and they actually believe you can dye sub onto cotton and buy the snake oil only to realize it was just that snake oil. You cannot apply dye sub ink to cotton - you saying so only makes you a liar or simply trying to deceive people for a buck. If you are next in line for the snake oil sales pitch you are part of the problem.

·
Banned
532 Posts
If you treat fabrics with pre treatment as well a post treatment what you should do anway on Dark fabrics for the same reason on any DTG printer, then you would get the same result with white background

But if you are asking about sublimation in white cotton fabrics. powder is integrated in cotton fibers by suitable solvent and there is nothing to be washed till 180 st C

By the way besides DTG print how would you get this quality and detail ?????
In this case this sample below is done on Epson DX7450 + iron, Not heat press
Can you get the same details with some OKI and A + B paper and transfer for € 2000

But if you like you can print on any Color laser on CT transfer paper and merge it on this white backgrounder. Sublimation is just one option. And it is definitively not the best one.
Quality and detail? If you consider that quality and detail then - well lets say you have low standards.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
The issue is simple - many if not most of the people that come to the dye sub section are relatively new and they actually believe you can dye sub onto cotton and buy the snake oil only to realize it was just that snake oil. You cannot apply dye sub ink to cotton - you saying so only makes you a liar or simply trying to deceive people for a buck. If you are next in line for the snake oil sales pitch you are part of the problem.

what will you say when a process comes along that works,
and will you recognize it as such?

once again,
please tell us what you call a process that involves only a dyesub printer and a 100% cotton/dark tee?

just like jpss is 'in' and 3g is 'on', they are both still inkjet
are they not?

we get it, it is not technically dyeing the fabric

what if i took silkscreen ink and finger-painted it onto a tee,
what section of the forum should it be in?
or should it be banned outright?

like i said, i am trialing this very process with excellent results so far
will you return and admit it is a viable dyesub solution if i get over 12+ wash/dry cycles?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

you have a dyesub printer and are using it to apply an image to 100% cotton/dark fabrics

and what about people considering getting dyesub,
should they not know all that is available, the good, the bad and the ugly?
just like any other t-shirt decoration method, there are a range of methods to accomplish the endgoal

I can tell you one thing. All what matter is inkjet ink quality and experience you have with particular ink.

i am using this tests with sublimation ink mainly because if I let some printer with that particular sublimation ink for 8 - 12 months on shelf without usage I knew that 8 -12 months leather it would work same as a day we left it.
Can you make a same thing with some DTG ink. Definitively not.
Is DTG ink better link in this White on Black process. Definitively Yes.

So if we do use some consumer throw a way link in this chain then there is great sense to use DTG ink instead sublimation ink.

It is all up on to the end user. And cost he find acceptable. But the principle or chain is the same. One printer + TT transfer paper for white background + second printer + CT transfer paper for color image. Then you merge these two printouts on fabrics. it could be dark polyester. It does not matter.
Here is a sample on polyester done with DTG inks

Attachments

·
Banned
532 Posts
what will you say when a process comes along that works,
and will you recognize it as such?

once again,
please tell us what you call a process that involves only a dyesub printer and a 100% cotton/dark tee?

just like jpss is 'in' and 3g is 'on', they are both still inkjet
are they not?

we get it, it is not technically dyeing the fabric

what if i took silkscreen ink and finger-painted it onto a tee,
what section of the forum should it be in?
or should it be banned outright?

like i said, i am trialing this very process with excellent results so far
will you return and admit it is a viable dyesub solution if i get over 12+ wash/dry cycles?
Sorry but you are the 1018 person to claim such - you have nothing available to you that others that came before you did not. There is no magic wand to make this work. Your doing what others before you have done and you will disappear just like everyone that came before you.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quality and detail? If you consider that quality and detail then - well lets say you have low standards.
I am talking about printer that is going to cost you €200. What do you think how many these printer you can use and throw a way just for a cost of notch better quality that will last as long as any of these printer id you use same kind of inkjet ink.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Ok, in all fairness, the title of the thread is 'sublimation ON pure cotton,' so yes, there are quite a few different methods of sublimating ON pure cotton, but NONE that sublimate INTO the cotton. In my humble opinion these methods are a million miles away from cotton sublimation and should not be recognised as such.

STC paper & powder = sublimation onto a separate layer.

JPSS = sublimation onto a separate layer.

3g Jet-Opaque = sublimation onto a separate layer.

Only materials containing polymers are genuinely sublimatable.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, in all fairness, the title of the thread is 'sublimation ON pure cotton,' so yes, there are quite a few different methods of sublimating ON pure cotton, but NONE that sublimate INTO the cotton. In my humble opinion these methods are a million miles away from cotton sublimation and should not be recognised as such.

STC paper & powder = sublimation onto a separate layer.

JPSS = sublimation onto a separate layer.

3g Jet-Opaque = sublimation onto a separate layer.

Only materials containing polymers are genuinely sublimatable.

Obviously you have not bee able to use SH Developer in powder + suitable fixative solvent that at 180 st C form an plasma cloud, dissolve that that SH Developer and impregnate cotton fiber. In the same time sublimation ink also sublimate and colorize that cotton fibers.

Or you can make sublimation colorization first of that SH developer. That is how it worked on a white background on dark, and then impregnate the cotton fibers.

So this solvent amount, formulation and t concentration on this fixative is a most critical part of this process since you do not want that this vapor would be flammable.

Or if this plasma is to weak then it would not dissolve that SH Developer properly. But if you use too much of it, then the image would be blurred. So this procedure is not easy and the proper Fixative formulation is the must. And you find right procedure with hit and error.

Here is one more image of that transfer or cotton impregnation with SH Developer and sublimation on light 100% Cotton fabrics. And the result is so soft that you can not make a difference whore the image ends. No one ON COTTON transfer can be compered with this soft hand result

Attachments

·
Banned
532 Posts
Obviously you have not bee able to use SH Developer in powder + suitable fixative solvent that at 180 st C form an plasma cloud, dissolve that that SH Developer and impregnate cotton fiber. In the same time sublimation ink also sublimate and colorize that cotton fibers.

Or you can make sublimation colorization first of that SH developer. That is how it worked on a white background on dark, and then impregnate the cotton fibers.

So this solvent amount, formulation and t concentration on this fixative is a most critical part of this process since you do not want that this vapor would be flammable.

Or if this plasma is to weak then it would not dissolve that SH Developer properly. But if you use too much of it, then the image would be blurred. So this procedure is not easy and the proper Fixative formulation is the must. And you find right procedure with hit and error.

Here is one more image of that transfer or cotton impregnation with SH Developer and sublimation on light 100% Cotton fabrics. And the result is so soft that you can not make a difference whore the image ends. No one ON COTTON transfer can be compered with this soft hand result
I will close with this - again the quality of your example is horrible in comparison to actual dye sub. In this era where cotton is no longer king and the vast majority of outdoor/sports apparel is poly it seems pointless but best of luck.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will close with this - again the quality of your example is horrible in comparison to actual dye sub. In this era where cotton is no longer king and the vast majority of outdoor/sports apparel is poly it seems pointless but best of luck.

So there is no longer a problem is this sublimation ON fabrics or it is sublimation IN fabrics.
Right?

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Sorry but you are the 1018 person to claim such - you have nothing available to you that others that came before you did not. There is no magic wand to make this work. Your doing what others before you have done and you will disappear just like everyone that came before you.
your reading comprehension is blinded by your unreasonableness/bias

i never claimed anything, except the very start of trials of a new system
it is just coming online in north america, so we will see if it blossoms or withers under testing

so to even suggest there is nothing new is wrong on multiple counts:
- everything is new because i've never used dyesub
- this process is new and was just made available where i live

i can't disappear when i never appeared

please re-read my posts for clarity

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.