T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have recently bought a sawgrass sg1000 with 70ml Sublijet UHD ink. i have sublimated a t-shirt and it came out nice and vibrant... i tried to sublimate a mug and it came out looking like it was faded. Is it possible that i applied too much heat or what could be the problem. I used textprint DTR heavy sublimation paper from the beaver paper group.
Another thing worth mentioning is i never used any butcher paper, i did use heat transfer tape and heat setting was 195 degrees celcius for 4 minutes high pressure.

Please help!

· Registered
104 Posts
Deping on where mug was bought here is a place to start on ceramic mugs( remember quality mug brings quality end product just my opinion !!)
most places you buy from have a guide to that product
Mug heat press settings:
  • temperature - 400 degrees F
  • dwell time - 5:00 - 6:00 minutes (see the press manufacturer for recommended
dwell time for ceramic mug)
- pressure - light to medium

METHOD 2 - IN A CONVECTION OVEN (using a silicone wrap)
Oven settings:
  • temperature - 380-400 degrees F
  • dwell time - 12 - 14 minutes (depending on the wrap and oven type)
  • mug wrap pressure - light to medium

METHOD 3 - IN CONVECTION OVEN (using shrink wrap)
Oven settings:
  • dwell time - 11 to 13 minutes

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Deping on where mug was bought here is a place to start on ceramic mugs( remember quality mug brings quality end product just my opinion !!)
most places you buy from have a guide to that product
Mug heat press settings:
  • temperature - 400 degrees F
  • dwell time - 5:00 - 6:00 minutes (see the press manufacturer for recommended
dwell time for ceramic mug)
- pressure - light to medium

METHOD 2 - IN A CONVECTION OVEN (using a silicone wrap)
Oven settings:
  • dwell time - 12 - 14 minutes (depending on the wrap and oven type)
  • mug wrap pressure - light to medium

METHOD 3 - IN CONVECTION OVEN (using shrink wrap)
Oven settings:
  • dwell time - 11 to 13 minutes
I know i have a good printer(sawgrass sg1000), good ink(Sublijet UHD), good paper(Beaver TextPrintDTR), i printed the sublimation within Creative Studio with the sawgrass print manager running... only thing i think it can be is maybe the quality of the mug, heat settings/process or colour settings as it is grayed out in my print manager and i have seen videos of people selecting RGB in that dropdown list! must i install a seperate colour pallette!
Hand Tableware Drinkware Finger Gesture

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not enough time most likely.

Don't waste whole mugs testing your settings.
You can easily do 20-30 tests on the same mug, by sublimating one 1x1 inch square each time.
thanks for tip on not wasting mugs... do you really think it needed to be longer in the heat press and not less... image looks a little burnt. check the bottom of the image on the mug, its a little more vibrant... i guess that part got less heat as i am using a side press.
Hand Tableware Drinkware Finger Gesture

· Registered
4,494 Posts
do you really think it needed to be longer in the heat press and not less...
I forgot you are using a heat press... Definitely less time.
Around 2-3 minutes, and you should start the timer when the temperature of the mug is 160°C and rising.

check the bottom of the image on the mug, its a little more vibrant... i guess that part got less heat as i am using a side press.
This is another issue you will have. You should read this...

· Registered
67 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Certainly, its the issue that arises with less time. What you should do is that first rise the temperature to 160 degrees and then start the timer for two to three minutes. Surely you'll get better results.

· Registered
12 Posts
If you have the Sawgrass SG-1000 there is a better paper called SRace which produces better blacks and more vibrant colour.
With a mug press many people use the ones out of china but don't use them correctly which gives inconsistent results. There is 3 settings:
1. Standby temperature - set to 390 F
2. Pressing temperature - set to 400 F
3. Time - set to 190, this gives you a few seconds to get the mug in the press.
Don't have the press too tight, this just damages the elements, when the press is cold and you fit your salvage mug (mug you use to heat up the press) you should be able to slide the handle forward and backwards with a bit of effort. When the press is hot and ready to go it will get tighter, once the press is hot, remove the salvage mug.
There should be button to press to start the pressing function, when you press this the press with heat from the 390 set temp to 400. When it hits 400 the time will start counting down, it is then you place the prepared mug in the press.
A good rule of thumb when using a cylinder press is leave 10mm top and bottom. If you want the mug to look uniform maybe look at the black mugs with the white panel press print to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts