T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi~ desperate for help...I was printing a run of 30 full back prints yesterday with white over color...got to print 26 and in the middle of the image, white faded to nothing and can't get it back...2 short cleans, 1 normal, 1 long, 2 little charges... 3 syringe ink pulls...nothing on white channels...2 new white bags, and the rest were only days old...now all are less than half and no prints. humidity is 42 heat at 70...So frustrated... anything you can offer to try...

· Registered
147 Posts
I can't speak about that machine as I have a Mongoose from DTF Superstore. I do have the same issue sometimes. Our software has a "LOAD INK" selection that, when used, solves this problem. It does waste some ink but it also solves the issue. Any chance your software has this "LOAD INK" option. If so, try it, then do a cleaning, then a test. Oh, we also made a file that is simply a white bar about 1" wide and 12" long. We run that file after we run our test. If the white prints solid and clean, then we proceed. If not we do another cleaning. If still not, another "LOAD INK". That has worked for us.

· Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't speak about that machine as I have a Mongoose from DTF Superstore. I do have the same issue sometimes. Our software has a "LOAD INK" selection that, when used, solves this problem. It does waste some ink but it also solves the issue. Any chance your software has this "LOAD INK" option. If so, try it, then do a cleaning, then a test. Oh, we also made a file that is simply a white bar about 1" wide and 12" long. We run that file after we run our test. If the white prints solid and clean, then we proceed. If not we do another cleaning. If still not, another "LOAD INK". That has worked for us.
Hi John,
May I talk more with you, I just purchased a Mongoose and would love to hear more about what you think of the machine...This sts machine is only in operation since July, they keep telling me it's my environment, but I also run a RI-1000 that has the same humidity/temperature parameters and I have no issue with that for 2 years. My Mongoose is due to arrive midweek next week and I'm super excited.

· Registered
12 Posts
When Sublimation first hit the market as a digitally printed transfer, photo printers were sideways engineered to run those inks. As the viscosity of the ink was different to the ink they were intended to print owners encountered daily issues requiring clean after clean after clean. Very Problematic.
Now we see the same issues with DTF where the printer used are not designed to use high viscosity DTG inks. They require the owner to almost be a technician to keep them running with syringes and cleaning liquids and lots of wasted ink. Eventually some of the big brands will hit the market with a purpose built DTF printer, until then, a DTG printer can print DTF transfers with no issues.

· Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited by Moderator)
I believe that whole heartedly...it was basically proven to me in front of my eyes. The entire system I purchased was sold to me as the "best out there" beautiful resolution, perfect prints...all very true for the first 2 weeks... The shaker was also sold as "easy to use, you'll love it"... and I did, once I figured out that I needed another form of smoke removal because the one that came installed on the machine, did nothing, shop was constantly full of smoke... because there was NO suction...their response..."you must need to clean it more".

Burned up film because running on the "predetermined" temps was not cutting it...that too had to do with the lack of vacuum on the smoke extractor... once we had the new one attached ($350) on amazon...the film magically was perfectly flat on the "predetermined temps" no burning of ink and no smoke in the shop.

Ran the ---- out of it for about 3 weeks...now sitting in the outer shop...cleaned to long term storage and for sale for parts... I refuse to put another dime into it and I am anxiously but cautiously looking forward to the arrival of my new machine on Wednesday.... In the words of a salesman of the system that I have...."You are a beta tester....they (the company) are letting customers spend their money to work out the bugs...stay away for 2 more years, then dive in....

· Registered
14 Posts
Hi~ desperate for help...I was printing a run of 30 full back prints yesterday with white over color...got to print 26 and in the middle of the image, white faded to nothing and can't get it back...2 short cleans, 1 normal, 1 long, 2 little charges... 3 syringe ink pulls...nothing on white channels...2 new white bags, and the rest were only days old...now all are less than half and no prints. humidity is 42 heat at 70...So frustrated... anything you can offer to try...
Mod Edit: Paragraphs added for readability.
I have had the same problems with my STS Mutoh printer. Constant problems with white drying up. I have spent thousands of dollars on ink doing cleanings and hundreds of hours trying to get white to print.

The first problem with white is the 1L bags. The white settles at the bottom of the bag with the chemicals and then has to travel in too many directions; first through the needle and then though the narrow channels. The 1L bags are fine for CMYK. STS has introduced 440ML cartridges, I am trying them to see if that helps.

Next they have introduced an ink circulation system that can be installed in the first generation of printers. This has to be installed by STS or a trained technician. The cost of this is $800.00.

Next you might have to replace the white damper, about $300.00. Hopefully, those 3 changes, the ink circulation system, the switch back to cartridges, and the replacement of the white damper, will fix the white problems without having to replace the expensive head. The new generation of printers has the ink circulation system built in. Clearly STS has released this printer too early. They are using me and others who bought the system right out of the gate as beta testers. My system has been down more than up working in the 8 months that I have had it. My environment is within the recommended temperature and humidity levels that have changed a few times since I bought the printer.

The people at STS provide goes service, however, they should extend the warranty on the printer and the head because they launched the system before it was ready. I've had to make production adjustments to screen printing, print and cut prints, purchased transfers, and vinyl cad cuts. All very time consuming and costly. It has been an exhausting and frustrating experience. If I could turn the clock back, I would have waited until this relatively new technology developed and corrected all the problems with white.

I am getting the installations, mentioned above, to my printer next week hoping that this will solve the white issues. When the printer is working, the prints are amazing, the colours are beautiful, and the prints on the shirts look great and wash well. The unfortunate thing is that the first generation printers do not hold up and the white dries up. I like the people at STS, however, I recommend that you wait until they perfect the system, or try the Coldesi system.

To sum it up, STS released the printer too early, or they would not be making all the adjustments to the printer. This has cost me money, time and stress.

· Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have had the same problems with my STS Mutoh printer. Constant problems with white drying up. I have spent thousands of dollars on ink doing cleanings and hundreds of hours trying to get white to print.
Mod Edit: Paragraphs added for readability. Seems to be a recurring theme in this thread.
Ron,
I feel your pain. The ink that blows through these printers in order to get a good white is RIDICULOUS. I actually had a vendor who conference called me in with a salesman at STS who refused to sell me the LT Magenta, LT Cyan that they were coming out with because it hadn't been "tested" and he didn't want issues with my printer. Hahaha!! The vendor used the words "beta testers" with reference to all those who have bought this system. I had the "circulating system" with a provided video link for self install...One worked, the other leaked ink when you used it. 2 months into using it daily, had to have my chambers reversed as the white lines were plugged and ink dropped.

My machine (at 4 months old) was sold for parts on Ebay and I have replaced it with a PHENOMINAL printer. Knock on wood because I don't want to jinx it...but I have been using it for 6 weeks...have yet to empty the waste bottle...(getting close, but I emptied every 4-5 days with the Mutoh) and their supplies (ink, material, powder) are sooo much cheaper. I come in, turn it on, run the shaker (bottles also have circulators inside that run periodically while you print) and do a strong clean on both heads (prints at lightning speed compared to Mutoh) and I'm good to go.

STS tried to blame shop environment for my issues, but I'm running the same parameters (which were STS parameters) and I'm having NO ISSUES. Also, the front "warming table" shorted out on my shaker and their fix was..."turn it off, you don't really need it, it's just an added feature...I'll see if I can get you the part...still waiting for that to happen...took the table off) Belt keeps coming unplugged inside the shaker, my husband zip tied it so it will stay plugged in, removed the "filtration" system completely and put in our own...it was worthless...3 weeks into operation, shaker starting making a loud rattle/banging noise...called tech, put them on speaker..."Yep, that's from your vacuum, just remove the side cover and unhook the vacuum tube where it connects to the machine, just set it against it...the vacuum is too strong for the connection. OR...you can take a hack saw and cut slots in the elbow, that will stop it too" REALLY.....

All in all, I would never recommend this company but the new printer....ABSOLUTELY! Day and night to the MUTOH!

Good luck, but honestly...cut your losses!!

· Registered
14 Posts
Hi Marci,

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I too am emptying the waste bottle about twice a week. I'm essentially pouring money down the drain.

Have you sold the Mutoh printer head?

What is the new system that you purchased and where did you buy it?

Ron

· Registered
28 Posts
I have had the exact issues with the STS VJ628-D. And I know the person you are talking about, blaming the environment. He will never admit that the problem is with the machine, it is always your fault one way or another. We have been fighting with this machine since July 2022.

First it was the 1 litre bags, which STS has since discontinued. Before that, they had me install the free recirc for the adapters. Had me increase the number of cleanings. Then they yelled at me for using the bags, claimed the bags were never approved. I have every email, so proved them wrong on that.

I have wasted litres of white ink and litres of cleaning fluid just to recover white jets - sometimes ten short charges in a row.

Next came the 500ML cartridges. Then we paid to fly a tech out to install the internal recirc system ($1200, but we talked them down to $600) They also replaced the head for free under warranty.

Still constant issues with white dropping out. We swapped channels four times now, every time 5&6 get clogged we switch white to 7&8 and cleaner to 5&6.

Most recent was white was dropping out after 8 prints... their solution was to update the firmware for the internal recirc. Cross my fingers, we ran it two days all day with no issues. This is a first!

And don't get me started on the dryer unit, the gears fell off while it was running. The belt and vacuum roller stop at times and must be turned by hand to get them rolling again. The solution was to drill a lot of holes in the PVC tube that provides vacuum to the feed roller. Then I have to put tape over the holes if the vacuum is not enough to feed the fil, pull tape off if the vacuum prevents the roller from turning.

All in all, the STS get a vote of no confidence from me, but we are sort of stuck with it until we can afford to upgrade to a machine that works.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts