T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why even bother with copyright designs?

We are NOT really artists, but some times (like today) we get an order for a few hundred shirts where the client simply asks us to create the art.

They just want some text with a specific font, they told us how tall the font should be and they want it centered on the shirt in 3 lines. This we can handle.

Now, this job is for a Major TV network and these shirts will be seen a lot and most likely will be reproduced by the knock off trade.

So, from a printers point of view, we would never get into Major Contract signing legalities with the client because we want the job and repeat buisness. It only took 5 minutes to make up the Art, but it was a design.

So we do nothing as far as copyright and we are ok with that.

Does anyone here do things this way ?

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Sure, it happens all the time.

But printers don't usually copyright designs they do for customers.

Most of the questions concerning copyright on this forum aren't from printers, they are from artists/designers/new t-shirt brands that want to protect their original designs.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Swing Easy said:
Wouldn't that design be the property and responsability of the big TV station? How did the deal go?
hi Swing Easy, there was no deal, they asked us to make a design, we did and that was that.

i guess you are right that the client's TV show will be copyright.

Rodney, although it was simple design, it is still a design created by an artist that will be printed on shirts. I dont see the difference between this type of art/designer and the one you refered to. :(

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Rodney, although it was simple design, it is still a design created by an artist that will be printed on shirts. I dont see the difference between this type of art/designer and the one you refered to
The difference is that the designer you're talking about is working for a printer. A printer usually has no interest in their customer's designs. Art departments for printers create artwork for customers all the time with no regard to holding copyright or intellectual property over it. They have no stake in the failure or success of the image. They just want to get it printed for the customer.

The customer on the other hand, has a lot more to gain or lose by protecting or not protecting their designs. It's a totally different situation if you are the owner of the t-shirt brand/fashion line/designs and you plan on marketing them and selling, or whether you are just a work for hire with no stake in the final output.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Art departments for printers create artwork for customers all the time with no regard to holding copyright or intellectual property over it. They have no stake in the failure or success of the image. They just want to get it printed for the customer.
Just a quck note. Any artist working for a company creating art -Does NOT own the art. The comany the artist works for owns it.

We do it all the time. I created art for the Band Shinedown. I gave them the image and it was placed ont he first single album cover. All I wanted was to print their shirts. I did for 3-4 years. It was a great trade. Pluse I get credits on the cd's and hanging in my showroom are a gold and Platinum record personalized for my efforts.

Sometmies its best to just go with the flow. The only time I will pull the plug with copyright infringing is when the client takes art and I loose money.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fluid said:
Sometmies its best to just go with the flow. The only time I will pull the plug with copyright infringing is when the client takes the art and I loose money.

I like that fluid. :) lol

thanks guys. I dont feel so alone now. :D

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kentphoto said:
I have my own copyright/trademark lawyer to settle disputes

His name is Tiny. :mad:
mine is Ty Domi, but he retired today. May need to use yours from now on.

....just kiddin' Ty. Us leafs hockey fans will miss you. :)

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
one more thing, the text on the shirt is also a trademark name that has been around for years.

how would this change things ? if any.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rodney said:
Change things for what?
for the copyright/trademark reproduction situation.

if i did not know them, i would need to ask for proof that they are who they say they are. :)

Have asked in the past and everytime the response was the same. We are blablabla, its all good.

But the problem is not knowing or not being familiar with every copyright/trademark item, before we approved a job for production.

We trust this situation in good faith but have no other choice than to hold the client responsible for any false misleading representations as per our terms and conditions of sale in the event its a SHAM.

So what do you do ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts