T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm pretty new to this but if any of you could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it.
I want to transfer some designs onto canvases stretched over wooden frames.
I tried ironing-on (with a standard iron) some cheap transfer paper I got from Staples onto a canvas stretched over a wooden frame (18 cm wide 24 cm long and 4 cm thick). Because of the thickness of the frame there was nothing directly underneath the canvas providing support so I used some books to create a hard surface for ironing on as suggested. I left the iron to heat up for about 30 minutes and ironed slowly pressing down hard for about 20 minutes I left the transfer paper and canvas to cool down for about an hour. When I peeled it off the picture flaked off in parts looking terrible.

Is it possible to use transfer paper on canvas stretched over a wooden frame and get a good quality finish?

Once again any help would be really appreciated

·
Registered
387 Posts
What is the size of the canvas? (left the cm measurement back in high school . .L*~)
you can purchase pre-stretched canvas and print directly onto the canvas from any kind of color printer
you can find it on ebay -- do a search for --- ink jet canvas ---
you can also use a color laser printer also . .
with this type of canvas you won't have to use a transfer

I use the pre-stretched canvas for family Coat of Arms and ink jet or laser comes out beautimist

Diane;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only canvases I have are already stretched over wooden frames of course I could buy some normal canvas but it would be a waste of money unless I knew for sure I could iron transfer paper onto it with an ordinary iron and get a decent finish that doesn't flake when I peel the paper off.

I have been thinking about purchasing some inket canvas online though, although my printer is only a4 so If I wanted to frame the canvas half the space would be wasted wrapped around the wooden frame.

Thanks for the suggestion diane
(although I'm at a english uni, not high school :))

·
Registered
380 Posts
I believe you will have much better luck pressing the canvas without the frame and by using a heat press. A heat press will provide you with even heat and pressure. Most inkjet and laser transfer papers require high pressure. Sublimation transfers will require less pressure, but a longer dwell time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to press the canvas without the frame and I'm willing to buy some good transfer paper like Sublimation transfers but how much is a heat press? I don't know if its worth it for the small amount of work I'm doing. Would it be possible to get average results with an ordinary iron and good transfers?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I really doubt it. Heat, pressure and time are the key to all transfers. A small heat press (9" x 12") will probably run you $300+. You will also need dye sub inks ($200+) for an Epson printer to print the dye sub transfers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for all the questions but you have all been really helpfull.

Now for another question. What are some good transfer papers/ heat transfers?
it's quite hard to find reliable reviews online or perhaps I'm just searching for the wrong thing.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
OK as an official heat transfer tote bag guy.. here is what you do.
1. If your going to use books then place a mouse pad on top of books.
2. If your going to use an iron then get it at its hottest.
3. Do not use store transfers. Call john at new Milford and see if they are still offering sample pack for $3.99.
4. If you are doing pictures then your going to need opaque transfer (Blue Grid)
5. if your going to use design or words and the canvas is light then Iron All hot peel.
6. Place an old tee over the mouse pad and iron it. Your getting the bottom surface hot (good idea for anyone never press on cold bottom)
7. Place canvas on top of mouse pad and then using old tee over the canvas (canvas can scorch) pre press the canvas for about 10 -20 seconds. If you were using a press It would be maybe 5 seconds. You need to make it dry..
8. Place transfer on canvas. A. if hot peel face down B If opaque remove backing and face up. and place parchment paper over transfer. Press parchment paper with design below.
9. Press evenly in every area of the transfer where you have design (Hot peel) for about 15- 20 seconds evenly.. then remove transfer from top left to bottom right. DO NOT LET COOL!!!!!! If opaque press 8 seconds of the transfer evenly. remove parchment.. your done. I have done about 250 tote bags. Tote bags are canvas of various types.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts