T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know I shouldn't stress but it is such an big purchase and my brain has been researching to death. I really need some input from the forum..

Digital Knight DK20S vs. Hotronix Swinginger

Both are 16 x 20 swing away durable presses with great reviews but I still can't decide. I will be using this press to assist my 12 year old in his startup business of t-shirts, puzzles, magnets mousepads etc. Mostly for gift baskets and fundraisers so I don't think we will be using it outside of our main location.

If anyone has any feedback on their experiences with either of these to machines it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Lyd :confused:

·
Registered
383 Posts
The first thing I would ask yourself is if you need a 16x20?

What items will you be pressing? Transfers? because there is not much that a 16x16 can't do, sometimes more if not less as well.

I just bought a 16x16 auto open stahls myself.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I suggest you also check out Hix they make great equipment that being said between the 2 you listed I would go with the Hotronix. I have one and it works great, I had some trouble with it and Stahls repaired with no problems. You are buying the right type of machine foryour applications. The swinger style is great for pressing objects, a clam style can cause the substrte to shift during closing. I will say I have heard that the Geo Knight equipment has had some timer and heating element issue. I know that you can get a press with issues, but I have heard of several issues with the Geo Knight. I hope this helps. ..... JB

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I need a 16 x 20 because the swing arm only comes in 16 x 20 for both machines and we print 11 x 17 for other things like towels and place mats. I also really favor the swing arm because we have less of a chance for getting burned. My biggest issue was the weight. In the chance that we may do a trade show in the future the GeoKnight would be a bear to cart around. Which made me ask the stressing question why does it need to be so heavy and why are the other machines so light, outside of the obvious steel frame of course.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I think some of the other press makers are using more machined aluminum. The aluminum is really strong, but wieghs less. I have hauled my swinger to local craft shows etc. . I suggest getting a cart that you can haul with you to wheel it around on. I think one could be found or made that would fold up for easier carry. I know buying a press is a large expense and something you only want to do once, I can't stress enough my admiration fir the Hix company and their great customer support. They also make top shelf equipment . I wish you much success and happy pressing. ..... JB

·
Registered
784 Posts
Stop sweating it. Go find and take a look at each, then buy the one you like most. Either one will work just fine. You will only know what's right for you after you learn how to use what you have.

I have a 16x16 and a 20x25. Each has its place. 16x20 sounds about right for what you want to do.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yes, I need a 16 x 20 because the swing arm only comes in 16 x 20 for both machines and we print 11 x 17 for other things like towels and place mats. I also really favor the swing arm because we have less of a chance for getting burned. My biggest issue was the weight. In the chance that we may do a trade show in the future the GeoKnight would be a bear to cart around. Which made me ask the stressing question why does it need to be so heavy and why are the other machines so light, outside of the obvious steel frame of course.
I see, the reason I asked was because most people think that as well, but in reality you can't print the full length of the 11x17 paper so about 15.25 is all you will print anyway so a 16x16 would also do, but being that they don't make a 16x16 swinger then you are on the right path.

Just trying to save you a buck or two. :)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Not an opinion on either one but I think either will work just find.

I am still using the first 16 x 20 clam shell and 15 x 15 clam shell mighty pressed I staretd out with 2 years ago and they usually stay on about 8 hours per day.

Just make the best decision you can and don't worry too much about either one...they will both work well for you.

But, 16 x 20 works best for us...11 x 17 transfers and helps position larger shirts better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts