T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Is there any issues with storing plastisol heat transfers for long periods of time? It’s certainly cheaper to order in bulk but this may require storage for extended periods e.g. years. It gets quite hot and humid here in summer – will this effect them at all? Any storage tips – air tight containers, desiccant etc.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
14,656 Posts
Hi,

Is there any issues with storing plastisol heat transfers for long periods of time? It’s certainly cheaper to order in bulk but this may require storage for extended periods e.g. years. It gets quite hot and humid here in summer – will this effect them at all? Any storage tips – air tight containers, desiccant etc.
Don't bulk up too much. They have a shelf life. F&M says 3 years.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Don't bulk up too much. They have a shelf life. F&M says 3 years.
I was told by the owner of ACE TRANSFER that he has used transfers 10 yrs. old with no issue. I found this hard to believe, But he then showed me. He told me to keep them sealed in plastic bag( to reduce dust) in a cool place out of light for best shelf life. .... JB

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
I store transfers (inkjet) in plastic and then I store them either in those stackable "inbox trays" that folks use in offices, and the other place I store them is in those plastic stackable organizers that have pull out drawers, the ones made for organizing paper, usually scrapbooking papers. Keeps them nice and neat and within reach.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I know that I have pressed transfer from back in the 70s and they still work. just keep them dry!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Thanks everyone - might be worth my while investing in an air-tight container.

Cheers.
I trim down my plastisol transfers (because they are usually ganged on a sheet) and put each design in a very big zip-lock bag that I purchased on ebay. I store them in a large cardboard storage box I got from IKEA. :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
White ink transfers (plastisol) have a general shelf life of 1 year...
something about the pigment in white ink that doesn't fare well over time.
(white ink is troublesome in EVERY form of printing - screenprinting, DTG, transfers, you name it!).

Leading up to the one year mark, you'll notice the transfers will be harder to pull,
and eventually they will stop releasing from the paper in certain areas...which effectively ruins the transfer/shirt.

Black ink (and colors) have a general shelf life of 2 years...
although you can squeeze more out of them, sometimes MUCH more.

We work with one of the largest transfer companies in the business (they switch inks and paper regularly, looking for better solutions),
this is their experience from the past 30 years of business. This is also OUR experience with their transfers in the last few years of business.

Just because someone says it worked for them 10 years later, doesn't mean that it will work for you...and everytime you try.
Even if every second transfer works...you're now wasting ONE extra shirt per order to find out. Gambling is not how you run a business.

The above are loose guidelines...but they are guidelines you need to consider if you want to be successful.

We never buy more than 100 sheets at a time for our print-to-order business model...
too much potential waste, and not enough savings (in the long run).

2cents

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Ok when you use the older transfer I have had 1 or 2 that did not peel but then I put in wash and have no problems getting the paper off. There is nothing wrong with older transfer just need to learn about them is all!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
here is one my son wares all the time and it been washed lot and it is over 10 years old.

The other one is my wifes, and yes it was one that stuck and I just washed it and it came out good. Now its been washed over 10 times, and lot of the older members will tell you when I wash I beat the hell out of them to make sure there is Quality!

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
here is one my son wares all the time and it been washed lot and it is over 10 years old.

The other one is my wifes, and yes it was one that stuck and I just washed it and it came out good. Now its been washed over 10 times, and lot of the older members will tell you when I wash I beat the hell out of them to make sure there is Quality!
I was referring to "Plastisol" transfers...the ink used for screenprinting.
You're right tho, I'd be willing to bet "Vinyl" transfers will last as long as a plastic water bottle ie) forever.

So, I suppose the answer depends on what kind of transfers you're talking about (inkjet, vinyl, plastisol)...
you certainly CANNOT put Plastisol transfers in the washing machine tho...only vinyl could handle that kind of abuse.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
This is Plastisol transfers that are in the pic. And if you can not peel the paper off after pressing then yes you can put them in the wash and take the paper off that way.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I use plastic bags(from the grocery store) and wrap them up nicely then put them in cardboard boxes and then stack them up in the closet.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Nick, try the pizza box idea,it will take much less time to fin transfer when looking for them. I have over 1000 different designs stored and can get what I need in a flash. .... JB

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Thank's COEDS i forgot to mention that i do use the pizza boxes as well. I actually got the idea from you a couple months back but with so many plastisols (i get huge orders) i have to put them in bigger boxes.

·
Registered
265 Posts
This is Plastisol transfers that are in the pic. And if you can not peel the paper off after pressing then yes you can put them in the wash and take the paper off that way.
Wow, that first one is so shiny it looked like vinyl...my bad.

Anyway, most of our designs are one color with heavy use of halftones...
if the dots don't want to release the from the paper, nothing will save them.
At the size of a pinhead, they just don't hold the paper to the shirt long enough to wash them...
the paper just comes off easily, without the ink.

But I'm curious now...
when you wash them, what exactly is creating the "release"...is it the heat? The water?

We have some solid designs that could possibly be washed,
but there's no way we can afford to regularly wash shirts that don't turn out...too costly.
What else could we do that's cheaper...soak it in hot water?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So in regards to the white ink going bad does anyone know what the reason for this is - heat / moisture / mould etc.

This is probably a bit left field but would throwing them in a freezer help? After all it's cold, dry, sealed and I got a big chest freezer here sitting empty :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts