T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am a recent start up design company that does audio, visual, print and clothing. I have trademarked two designs for my company. My parents have a friend who is a screen printer and he has complained that people have stolen various designs he does on T's. However, I am a graphic design artist as well and will be producing VERY unique designs that would be obvious if anyone tried to sell them. My concern is, when i send my designs in to get a supply of plastisol transfers, has anyone heard of that company copying or stealing designs to use on t's in their art catalog, or to sell to other clients?
Of course since my company and its logos are trademarked I would sue the **** out of anyone trying to copy any of my designs...
so what say you? anyone ever worried about their art being stolen?

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I don't think you have to worry so much about professional printing companies copying your designs. If you are concerned about this happening with a particular company, talk to some people who have worked with them before.

In the end, you can't know for sure 100% either way. But like you said, you have them trademarked - so if it happens, it happens, and you will sue their pants off. :)

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
My concern is, when i send my designs in to get a supply of plastisol transfers, has anyone heard of that company copying or stealing designs to use on t's in their art catalog, or to sell to other clients?
That should be the VERY least of your concerns. Printers print for companies large and small. They see thousands of VERY unique designs each year and have no interest in stealing one or selling one. They just want to print your design and move on to the next job they have to run.

I've never heard of that happening at all.

Edit: Whoops, I misunderstood the question. My original answer below doesn't apply to screen printers or plastisol transfer printers. It is addressing other people who sell t-shirts, not those who make t-shirts.

Rodney's original misguided answer said:
Yes, people stealing designs does happen, however I don't think it happens as much as people worry about.

Personally, I think way too much time/energy gets spent worry about that type stuff instead of the actual marketing of tees.

Don't get me wrong though. It's a good idea to protect yourself in any way possible (registering a copyright/trademark where applicable), but after that, it's time to move on to bigger and better things.

·
Registered
55 Posts
hiveind said:
My concern is, when i send my designs in to get a supply of plastisol transfers, has anyone heard of that company copying or stealing designs to use on t's in their art catalog, or to sell to other clients?
I've never heard of that particular theft. My silk screening mutters all the time about how people steal his art and ideas, but I've never heard of someone submitting their art for production and having it stolen like that.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think people get too paranoid about people stealing their designs. Design is only the first step in a long process. Why should anyone want to steal your designs in the first place? As you say you've trademarked your logo and you will be producing VERY unique designs. Get on on with it, do the best work you can and get to market. At this stage people stealing your designs should be the least of your worries.
Good luck with your venture

·
Registered
85 Posts
well you know this has been of great concern to me of late , not that printers will steal my designs , but the people i have and will be contacting to

1. Design some of my ideas
2. potentially be apart of the business venture
3. those i will contact to get funding.

people do steal business models , i have heard of situations, from move scripts to business ideas, to rap lyrics . As more of the pieces come together i have learned to restrict who i approach for what.

THe fact is many of use have Great ideas ... but lack the ability to execute them effectively , and if the right/wrong person comes across your idea , they will do with it what you failed to do ... produce with it ...

on thing you can do with people you bring in to help with the biz , is make them fill out a confidentiality form... i found a cool one on line i will try and find the link .

·
Registered
7 Posts
K if you guys are serious about the designs or ideas you have and wish to present to potential customers or investors id advise you wait and spend the money on a solictor/laywer first and get them to draft you up some Non disclosure statements and also have a chat to an IP Laywer (interlectual property) first thats the best way to cover your *** and work.

I would hate to see anyone spend so much time trying to build there product to get screwed over by experienced corporate big wigs, If the people you are presenting to refuse to sign a NDS then its obvious they really dont care and will rip your idea and rework it to their own !

·
Registered
85 Posts
CONFIDENTIALITY AND NONDISCLOSURE AGREEMENT
WHEREAS, _________________agrees to furnish _________________ certain confidential information relating to ideas, inventions or products for the purposes of determining an interest in developing, manufacturing, designing, selling and/or joint venturing;
WHEREAS, __________________ agrees to review, examine, inspect or obtain such confidential information only for the purposes described above, and to otherwise hold such information confidential pursuant to the terms of this Agreement.
BE IT KNOWN, that _______________________has or shall furnish to __________________ certain confidential information and may further allow _________________the right to discuss or interview representatives of [YOUR NAME] on the following conditions:
1. _________________ agrees to hold confidential or proprietary information or trade secrets ("confidential information") in trust and confidence and agrees that it shall be used only for the contemplated purposes, shall not be used for any other purpose, or disclosed to any third party.
2. No copies will be made or retained of any written information or prototypes supplied without the permission of _____________________.
3. At the conclusion of any discussions, or upon demand by ___________________, all confidential information, including prototypes, written notes, photographs, sketches, models, memoranda or notes taken shall be returned to _______________________.
4. Confidential information shall not be disclosed to any employee, consultant or third party unless they agree to execute and be bound by the terms of this Agreement, and have been approved by _________________________.
5. This Agreement and its validity, construction and effect shall be governed by the laws of California.
AGREED AND ACCEPTED BY:
Date:_______________
By_____________________________ Witness:___________________________
Title:____________________________
By______________________________
Title__________________________

You can use something like this , and modify it to your particular use. You may want to have a lawyer look it over if you want , but that is alot cheaper then having him produce one for you.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I wouldn't worry about a professional printer stealing your stuff, most of the time the are in the business of "printing". Other sellers might, but if they are that lazy, they will never be any threat to you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts