T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are we allowed to use stock photos on tshirts? How hard is it to make different designs for tshirts... are we allowed to use clip art, are we allowed to use pictures of bush....

someone please help

·
Registered
47 Posts
As long as they are royalty free images, youre fine.....for example, Im a digital artist and if I want to use a specific photo for a texture, I need to make sure its royalty free. Most sites with photo for general use will say so. As for clip art im not too sure and for pictures of bush, you need to make sure the photographer doesnt own the rights to the image. I hope this helps

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Don't have anyone recognizeable in the picture, unless they're already in the public eye (Bush). Check out FAQs on any stock sites to find out your rights to use them. Most free clipart sites I've seen say the clipart is only free for non-commercial use.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
You can use clipart from clipart.com on t-shirts, although you may want to read their terms for specifics.

You can use photos of politicians (at least in the US you can) on t-shirts or other merchandise.

You CAN'T use photos of celebrities or other people in the public eye because of the "Right to Publicity" rule which basically means that each person has the right to say how their image is used commercially. If you don't have permission, you can't use it. Politicians are the only ones exempt from the "Right to Publicity" rule.

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information Rodney. Where did you find this information? I would like to read up on it a little more. So basically I can use pictures of bush with any slogan I want? Also is there a way of taking pictures of bush online and somehow making it 300dpi?

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
tshirtworld said:
Thanks for the information Rodney. Where did you find this information? I would like to read up on it a little more. So basically I can use pictures of bush with any slogan I want? Also is there a way of taking pictures of bush online and somehow making it 300dpi?
The information on politicians is something I found out through CafePress, they have info on their pages here:
http://www.cafepress.com/cp/info/help/law.aspx

As far as getting the actual politician photo, that's a little trickier, since the photographs that you see online are usually copyrighted by the photographer that took the photo. So you would need permission from the copyright holder (usually the photographer) before you use any photo commercially.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ar you sure about the "royalty free"? I was under the impression that it meant you could use the image for your own personal use. That you could not resell the image in any form..... Unless I am misunderstanding???????????

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
photodiver said:
Ar you sure about the "royalty free"? I was under the impression that it meant you could use the image for your own personal use. That you could not resell the image in any form..... Unless I am misunderstanding???????????

I'm not sure which post you're responding to here, but in regards to clipart.com, they clearly state that you can use the images there for commercial purposes, even on t-shirts for sale.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts