T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kind of new and looking for advice. Thanks in advance. I just purchased the promotional heat press along with stock heat transfers. I'm trying to apply these transfers to gildan 5.3 oz heavy cotton T's. My first tries resulted in the transfers not adhering to the shirt. Parts of the transfers stayed on the paper. On proworlds advice I cut a transfer into four pieces and made some changes till everything adhered. I'm using 395 deg, 12 seconds, medium to firm pressure, preheat bottom pad for three cycles, preheat shirt for 6 seconds. Samples came out great at this point. I tried again using a stock transfer and everything came out great. The paper was clean other than some color bleed transfer onto it but none of the transfer itself. On the shirt, everything looked and felt good. Today my son was going to wear the shirt for the first time and noticed that some lines of small lettering at the bottom of the print were starting to peel. I washed the previous samples and everything is still adhered as it is supposed to. Here are my questions.....
What do I need to look for now?? More pressure, more heat, more time??
Also, what happens if I have to much time, to much heat, or to much pressure??

Sorry for all the questions but I really am new at this.. Thanks again. And I just need advise. Please don't ask me to cut up another transfer the last one I cut up did come out great. So I need advise on what else might cause this. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
You need to cut up another Transfer! No just kidding - could not resist the urge to say it. You want to test the transfer and the material with various times and pressure. The advice to cut one was great for it saved you 4 or more transfers. The only thing left then is determine if your press has equal heat throughout and equal pressure throughout. They do sell test strips to evaluate the various areas of the press. I do not know your brand of heat press, but all are not created equal. If only part of the design is peeling, then check that area of the press. 395 is more than enough heat. I never go above 375-380. Not knowing the transfers some work at 350 which mean you could be burning the glue off.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was having that same problem often (not all of the design was transferring to the shirt leaving some on the paper). Then I discovered the sweatshirt trick - place a blank sweatshirt (not printed on) on your bottom heat platen, then place the shirt you want to press onto it. This creates a firmer surface and increases the pressure. I've had success with this method with all of the heat transfers I was having issues with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies so far. I based my tests on the instructions given for the stock transfers I purchased from proworld

Hot Peel Application Instructions
Set temperature at 390-400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Set pressure at medium.
Print 10-12 seconds.
Peel immediately while hot, in one continuous, smooth, rapid motion.
These instructions might vary depending on the transfer machine being used for the application. Variances in time, pressure, and/or temperature might be necessary. Proper temperature testing of the heating element is strongly recommended.
Video Instructions

The press is a TransPro and I did use a friends laser temp gauge. It was not to far off a couple of degrees +\- Where can I buy these strips?? I'd still like to check them. I heard already about the sweatshirt thing. Do you use it like a bottom cover and run the heat cycles with it on there?? Thanks again for your replies..

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had this problem with some of the transfers that had thin lettering or thin pinstriping and what I do with these types of transfers is re-press the shirt for a few more seconds or if you have to...another cycle, using a Teflon sheet on top of the transfer. This seems to make the transfer stick nicely. Hope this helps you out. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.