T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like all of my Nike t-shirts stink after awhile. They smell really strong if they get a little wet from perspiration or even water. There's no problems with other brands I wear (Adidas, Reebok, etc). This happens after I've owned the shirt after a short while. The shirts are 60/40 cotton/poly. Even though they're still in good condition I don't wear them for fear of stinking up the room. Any idea what's going on?

· Registered
209 Posts
Nike and many other sports brands now make products in other countries. The quality of the dyes used in these fabrics is all over the place. As a printer we wrestle with the dye migration occuring when we try to print white inks on these colored fabrics. Since we've discovered the dyes change in consistency all the time it makes sense to assume that other inconsistencies occur. Many Polyester fabrics touted as "moisture wicking" are only so because the fibers are supposed to allow the moisture to evaporate rather than absorb it like cotton does. That means that you sweat and other residue is still left on the surface of the garments as the moisture evaporates. If your washing cycle doesn't remove all of this residue as you perspire this residue is rehydrated and smells much worse than before. The inconsistencies in the fabric and dying process could be making it worse.

· Registered
2,997 Posts
Nike and many other sports brands now make products in other countries. The quality of the dyes used in these fabrics is all over the place. As a printer we wrestle with the dye migration occuring when we try to print white inks on these colored fabrics. Since we've discovered the dyes change in consistency all the time it makes sense to assume that other inconsistencies occur. Many Polyester fabrics touted as "moisture wicking" are only so because the fibers are supposed to allow the moisture to evaporate rather than absorb it like cotton does. That means that you sweat and other residue is still left on the surface of the garments as the moisture evaporates. If your washing cycle doesn't remove all of this residue as you perspire this residue is rehydrated and smells much worse than before. The inconsistencies in the fabric and dying process could be making it worse.

I agree. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.