T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When using white underbase on darks i press for 220 secs with light to med pressure. After that time and the press top lifts, there is still steam rising from the shirts. I thought that indicates the inks are not fully cured. (BTY-if i press another 10 secs i still can get puffs of steam):confused:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Most likely its the humidity/moistier in the shirt evaporating, try pressing without the transfer for a couple sec. to get rid of it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ya, I dont do DTG, but I would guess its the water in the ink or moistier in the shirt evaporating. When I do heat transfers, sometimes I get a lot of evaporation like this.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
that's ok- yes faskink 3 is the brand also tmp is 335F.
I'd say it's normal, at least it happens to us also, we pre-press to remove moisture, print, then cure 320-330F for 3 min if the design has a underbase, there is always a little steam that escapes when the press is opened even with only the lightest pressure being applied.

It's been talked about a couple time here that if you use too much pressure the steam (water vapor) from the ink curing can't escape and slows down the curing process, I don't know if that's true or not our prints wash fine with no color fading, I tend to think it has more to do with the high level of humidity in the room because of the DTG printer requiring high humidity to work correctly, ours is 50-60% which is a lot of moisture in the air.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Thanks, guess i can stop losing hair over this.
Really shouldn't be a problem as long as your doing the curing like you should as far as time, temp, and pressure, have you done any samples that you could wash test? that would be tell you if there's a issue with the ink not curing enough.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've printed couple hundred shirts past year but still no confidence. Some work great, others wash out after 4 washing and i can't pinpoint a problem. first problem i had was new press was off 20 degrees out of the box, fix that. lately been 335-340F, light pressure, 220 secs on darks and that seems to work. Can too much time overcure inks and get bad washability?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The whole process of curing is to evaporate the water from the ink and bonding what is left of it to the garment. The steam that you are seeing is the water evaporating. In some cases you may see the water actually build up around the heat press as your curing. Usually this only happens when curing white and colored ink because of all the ink that has been laid down. It is normal.

You should also be getting good results with the heat press at 330-335 F, curing darks for 180 seconds. If you are not then there could be something wrong with the heat press. I haven't heard of getting bad washability if you over cure the inks but the ink will start to dull out and the dye on the shirt may start to burn. You may also want to add a little more pressure to see if that helps out. I have an experience in using a cheap heat press that needed to have medium to heavy pressure on it. Otherwise the ink could be pealed off after washing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts