T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used static cling vinyl for signs? I was thinking of making static clings for high school seniors to put across their back car window. Will this work? Are they durable and last a school year? Do you make them the same as regular sign vinyl? Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry to piggie back on your question, but where do you get the static cling vinyl. We have been using the sticker vinyl for these type of things. TIA!

Shell

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nazdar or Cincinnati Sign Supply should carry Static Cling. I'd recommend getting a spec sheet on the brand you plan on buying. It should work fine as a short term HS decal. Most of these types of cling decals are printed second surface on clear with regular vinyl inks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
At my last sign shop we ordered static cling from local suppliers like Fellers. Typically they can last a schoolyear but our customers usually preferred regular vinyl because everyone had tinted windows and static clings just weren't visible enough.

We just hinted to them that it might be a little bit of a hassle to remove the vinyl and we would provide the service very inexpensively. Usually when they came back for removal they bought another decal.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Has anyone cut this vinyl in the same way you would normally do a window decal? Obvisouly it would be reversed. But can you cut it like this or is this just an application you would print on ?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Has anyone cut this vinyl in the same way you would normally do a window decal? Obviously it would be reversed. But can you cut it like this or is this just an application you would print on ?
Did you ever try to cut the cling thru your vinyl cutter. I was about to try some. Wasn't sure what blade I should use and at wht pressure. I guess i'll go try it it out and post my finding here lol

Easy

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have used some clean static cling and the cutting was not a problem. I was using i thing 80gf but make sure you slow down the blade. The problem im having with it is that when i print on the cling you can see right through it and it looks really bad. I tried max impact and max density and it didnt help. Max density made my grey come out dark green....Any advice?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I Use White Material - not clear

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
It's better to start new threads than to bump ones that are five years old.

Printing on clear static cling depends on the material. Some of it is not designed for aqueous printing. The stuff that is typically likes dye-based inks, rather than pigment inks. Your source for the cling material will tell you how to print on it. The vast majority requires either screen printing, UV inks, or solvent inks. Papilio and a few others sell clear cling sheets for water-based inkjet. Be sure to note the kind of ink that is required for best imaging.

Note that some printers, like many of the Canons, may have two kinds of blacks. One of the blacks (photo) contains pigment inks; all the others are dye inks. On clings that want dye inks you want to be sure you select a paper type that will not use the photo black.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts