T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to screen printing but have been getting apparel made at other shops for my clients and am wanting to buy my own equipment so I can do it all myself and not have to out source.. I would like to buy a used automatic press right away but don't know what else is needed when using a automatic press.. I know dryer is needed but what else?

If someone could help I would appreciate it.. I know I'd need ink, shirts, and all that.. But I need to know like do I need a printer to get the design printed and then flashed and that kind of stuff..

Thank you. Also is there like a DVD that can be bought that will walk you from start to finish on how to do screen printing?

· Registered
23 Posts
I've got a whole shop that I'm trying to get rid of. After 15 years I've decided to do something else. Automatic, manual press, dryer, and the list goes on. Everything and more that you would need to start.

· Registered
2,940 Posts
One other consideration is, what kind of printing are you outsourcing now that would necessitate an auto from the get-go? If it's one- or two-color stuff on light shirts, and the quantities aren't large, you can compete against an auto printing on a manual press. Unless you're printing large quantities of multi-color images on shirts daily, the return on an auto and the necessities that go with it will be long in coming.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Msiok could you email me all that you have plus price?

Cindylou I am in Indianapolis

Tpitman umm its really different colors.. Some are light then sometimes ppl order dark ones/black ones.. I do 1 color sometimes, but most of the times is 2 colors and up.. Haven't really done over 4 colors lately though..

The reason I want to start with auto is because all the shops here ALWAYS are so booked and are always backed up by 2-4 weeks so it takes forever to get stuff.. So if I buy an automatic I could do it faster.. I have extra $15,000 to spend on the equipment so I'm not looking to get it back quick.. Is that a good idea do you think?

· Registered
2,940 Posts
I don't know if $15,000 will get you a good used auto, compressor, chiller and whatnot in addition to exposure unit, conveyor dryer, a decent flash, washout/reclaim sink.
One option is a Brown ElectraPrint. Not the most popular. Some like them, some don't, but they plug into a 110v outlet and don't need air.
Factor in maintenance and repair, especially on a used press. If it's down, you ain't printing.

· Registered
243 Posts
1. Before buying a used auto have a reputable tech inspect it.
2. Make sure parts are and will continue to be available. Some of the older machines the PLC used to run them are no longer available or short supply.
3. On top of the cost of an auto budget $8-10k for install cost, equipment, materials. This number can come down depending how much you can do yourself.
4. Does your shop/work space have the room needed to set up.
5. Is your electrical service sized to handle a compressor, press, flash, dryer, etc.
6. On top of the auto add a flash, dryer, exposure unit, wash out/reclaim, screens, inks, chemicals, computer to do art, programs to do thwart, film output, consumables, etc. These items to set up could easily cost thousands.
7. Figure the learning curve to print the basics and doing art.

· Registered
65 Posts
Hi I'm new to screen printing but have been getting apparel made at other shops for my clients and am wanting to buy my own equipment so I can do it all myself and not have to out source.. I would like to buy a used automatic press right away but don't know what else is needed when using a automatic press.. I know dryer is needed but what else?

If someone could help I would appreciate it.. I know I'd need ink, shirts, and all that.. But I need to know like do I need a printer to get the design printed and then flashed and that kind of stuff..

Thank you. Also is there like a DVD that can be bought that will walk you from start to finish on how to do screen printing?
depending on where you are you should attend a trade show to see how it's done properly and talk to other printers at the show.

· Registered
2,013 Posts
Just a heads up for you - if you don't know what you are doing, you can make a lot of mistakes very quickly on an auto. Mistakes can get expensive very fast. Not a discouragement, more a word of warning. :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.