T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at starting up and putting many ideas ive had along time into action and move forward but get stuck with a few things that id like help with. if anyone can answer my questions or send links to sites, or posts on here that will help please do so, thanks!!

ive got alot of ideas for a launch line and future ideas and have checked out alot of artists im looking at working with.

my questions:

-what form of printing is best for a soft feel print? for both 1 colour designs and designs that are full colour. some designs are cartoony and brighter themed so some will be brighter designs but still want to keep a soft hand feel.

-i am looking at goin with american apparel but want to know if its best for me to get the desired shirts in the colours/style/sizes i want and send them to the printer, or is it jst easier for me to get the printer to source the shirt for me?

-what other good printers are there around the uk~? i visited october uk in nottingham along time back but since then my direction has changed but i still feel they could be a good choice of printers as they do all the relabeling etc too. they just done do samples which im told is worth getting.

-i am wanting to have woven tags with my logo on added to the shirts, but want them on the sleeve as appose to the bottom of the shirts like a few brands i like do, but how is this done?? is it done manualy by the people at the brand? is it done by printers or someone else?? i know printers retag the tags in the collar for you, so would i sew the woven tags onto the sleeve myself once id got my batch of shirts from the printer?

-as asked above, id ideally like the shirts to be bagged, but if i have to sew the woven tags onmyself, how is this possible??

-when i went to october uk a couple of yrs back i was told i send the design to them at print size. so excuse my ignorance but what does that mean, i would guess it means that isend them the design at the size i want it to be on the shirt??

-copyright/trademarking/patenting - i went to a business show recently and spoke to an adviser and was told that i can register my brand name, copyright it etc nationally and internationaly. the same goes for a logo, i can trademark it or register it so i have the rights to it. i know it would cost but its worth it if u can get as much protection as possible on the brand name. a good thing to do?? some people, johnny cupcakes himself being 1 said when they started they just simply put the TM on their designs themselves at the begining. and would you register/copyright etc everydesign you make/come up with. i mean brands like jcupcakes etc have tons of designs, so do they copyright them all b4 they are madeup into the final tee?

-shipping? how is this generaly handeled with people that start up? i guess at 1st until you are getting a ton of orders, you post the orders yourself at the post office? then once the brand is selling a larger amount and you have gained a following you can switch to a shipping company?? ups,fedex etc??

-tags etc. as i mentioned i want to retag the tees in the neck and also have profesional hangtags aswel, so any good links to established companys for those? but also, once iwere to have some made up, would i have them send me the neck and hang tags then i take em to the printer, or would i have them sent straight to the printer once ive ordered and approved the design??

-pricing - i knw its a tough one, but i guess id love at the competiion, the market im selling into and the cost to make each shirt frm the blank, to printing,taging etc. ?

-is there a law in what can and cant be sent in packages. i know it sounds silly but can you send things like food/milk/sugar etc through the post?? i knw brands sometimes add candy etc to orders.

-whats the general feel/rule on parodying?? as appose to copying/stealing. ive seen so many cool tshirts that have taken elements or bits from pop culture/movie/bands etc and twisted them to fit their own brand. is this good IF its done right and done well by a good artist?? and can you get done legally for it? by this i mean use a movie or something as inspiration and do a spoof type design take on it, and not a blatent copy. for example the johnny cupcakes movie shirts, the shirts that suck clothing also did.

-stock taking?? alittle confused on how it works, best ways to keep stock of what u have in stock etc. i guess it wouldnt be too hard in the begining with starting with smaller volumes.

-design side - if i had 1 designer makeup my logo that i sketched, they would send me it. so if i wanted to use my logo within another design but use adifferent artist, i take it id send them my logo for them to use within the other design??

same goes for the design etc for a hangtag,tissuepaper,neck tag....id have the designer design all these seperatly? then id send them to the printer etc who is making the tags??

thanks for reading through my long post hah. hope people can help.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi,

i think youm are asking too many questions here you are trying to get an answer to things that only you know,

i think you should ask yourself the questions to arrive at what specific questions you would like

ie

for a start how many t-shirts do you think you can shift?

how many design do you have/want?

how many of each design would you buy at once 10, 100, 500, 1000.

how much are your customers willing to pay?

is the printer your using willing to apply the tags to your shirts pack them etc?

would you sew your tags in or do you want someone else to do it?

will people pay to have them not sent in the post?

i dont understand the whos printing whos designing what question surely that is up to you.

i know people who send sweets in the post wether your suppost to or not is another matter,

buy your hang tags from swing tickets .com.

As for copyright i wouldnt bother registering every design you do as you probably wont use them for that long anyway as you will do others. everything you ever do is copyrighted to the designer automatically anyway and you buy the rights off them, again i cant answer questions on your arrangement with your designer.

your shirts are going to be really expensive, using american apparel, with sew in labels and tags and hang tags and fancy packaging as i new brand will people really pay this much for someone they ve never heard of?

I do wish you every success i dont wish to sound padandic at all in what ive posted i just think you should honestly think in depth about where your taking this

good luck man

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
To be honest i read this post when you first posted and thought 'there are just too many questions to answer', some only you will know the answer and only you can control the costs etc and make the decisions regarding printers/designers.

You might get more answers by breaking this up into smaller threads and there are a lot of answers to your questions already out there.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply even if it wasnt as helpful as id hoped. thanks anywy. i know which direction i want to go in and have been sitting on ideas and plans for along time so i dont need to think in depth anylonger, i need to take the next step. ive come along way in knowing things that i need to do since i 1st started putting idead together.

yes the shirts will be alittle pricey, but thats a factor i will look at when ive sourced my printer,shirts etc and got prices. i want quality shirts, art and i knw my market so i dont want to just knock out designs printed on any tshirt jst to get going.

thanks again anyway!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks progeny, since i posted it the other day, i came to some decisions on some of them. it was other simple questions like the tags for the sleeves etc. whether or not to do that myself of see if printers would do that service too.

thanks again

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an associate in uk - i am familiar with many of the european problems you are experiencing and there are ways to simplify it without 'you' having to know everything. Seems you are the mind behind the line - not trying to be the printer full of ink. Contact me if you wish via skype and we can discuss it - or email first - [email protected] - trust me i have 'all the answers' to all of your questions that are driving you crazy. Relax. Take care, keep being creative - leave the technical to experts on that end.

Del hendrixson

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for that del, ill email you shortly. thanks. as i mentioned afew things im already sorted on so its jst bits and bobs i need a little enlightening on, nothing major tho. but i guess the guys said above, its basically whatever idecide to do myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts