T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound desarate, and truthfully, it is. I am recently unemployed. I strated selling Christian embroidered caps, which I purchase from so-called manufacturers/distributors. They had low minimums so I was abel to get started for under $100. My net worth has grown but at a snails pace ( I'm at about $1000 now).:(
I did some work many years ago making some silk screen shirts for a club which turned out pretty good. I have people asking me about T-shirts all the time.
I want to get into this T-shirt business. I know I'm going to need much more money than I currently have. Does anyone have any serious ideas on what I can do to help build my capital with a small investment. Good wholesale pre-printed T-shirts, ect. ect. Any help or direction will taken seriously.:confused:

Thank You

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
A good place to start is setting up free webstores with Zazzle, Cafe Press, Spreadshirt, etc. Then start marketing your brand. This way you can begin to accumulate capital without having to spend anything other than time creating the designs. This also allows you to do test marketing of your products and see which are selling faster or ones which do not produce any sales. Then, if you are so inclined, you can switch over to production with styles you know will sell.

Or if you want to start into a more fulfillment and/or brick-and-mortar type capacity perhaps you could get an SBA loan or start pitching friends/family your idea.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A good place to start is setting up free webstores with Zazzle, Cafe Press, Spreadshirt, etc. Then start marketing your brand. This way you can begin to accumulate capital without having to spend anything other than time creating the designs. This also allows you to do test marketing of your products and see which are selling faster or ones which do not produce any sales. Then, if you are so inclined, you can switch over to production with styles you know will sell.

Or if you want to start into a more fulfillment and/or brick-and-mortar type capacity perhaps you could get an SBA loan or start pitching friends/family your idea.
Would you have to spend extra money getting a business license from the city to get a SBA loan? :confused:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
If you're looking at obtaining an SBA loan, etc. you'll need an EIN from the IRS, as well as, all applicable state and local business licenses. This assumes that you are pushing for a traditional business. If, however, you are concerned with getting your 'brand' out there with little to no cost then setting up an e-Commerce store via a fulfillment center would be most appropriate as you are basically receiving a commission off purchases made via whatever website you are using.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Awesome thanks for clarifying that for me, I was unsure how that works. I'm defiantly taking the e-Commerce store route! One more question, could I copy a image from a movie, and screen print a famous person, with out getting copyright issues.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I would not start selling product until you have product to sell. If you advertise a product that you don't have and it starts selling, you may find that the people you were planning on buying it from can't deliver, then you're stuck with irate customer. Sounds like you found a little niche in the cap business. Why not just expand on that? Instead of spending money to market T's that everyone else is selling for probably less than you'll want to sell them, spend that money to expand the cap business to other markets.

The pre-printed T business is tough. There are a million people trying to do the same thing. Unless you have a truly unique product, you will just blend in with all the rest of the people on cafe Press, Zazzle, etc. Not trying to talk you out of it if it's something you really want to do, but I'd recommend some local market research before you jump in. You might sell a few shirts on Zazzle and Cafe Press, but you probably won't make a living. The money will be in your local market, if there is one for this product. If you look real close at the market, you might be surprised at how many people right in your local area are trying to do the same thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would not start selling product until you have product to sell. If you advertise a product that you don't have and it starts selling, you may find that the people you were planning on buying it from can't deliver, then you're stuck with irate customer. Sounds like you found a little niche in the cap business. Why not just expand on that? Instead of spending money to market T's that everyone else is selling for probably less than you'll want to sell them, spend that money to expand the cap business to other markets.

The pre-printed T business is tough. There are a million people trying to do the same thing. Unless you have a truly unique product, you will just blend in with all the rest of the people on cafe Press, Zazzle, etc. Not trying to talk you out of it if it's something you really want to do, but I'd recommend some local market research before you jump in. You might sell a few shirts on Zazzle and Cafe Press, but you probably won't make a living. The money will be in your local market, if there is one for this product. If you look real close at the market, you might be surprised at how many people right in your local area are trying to do the same thing.

Thanks. There is a market here for T-shirts. Especially for christian Tees. I'm not very artistic though. I was Kind of thinking of finding some really nice designed christian tees at a very nice wholesale price to help work on building my capital. Then, of course, moving on to the next Phase. I deal with a lot of Churches of various denominations, and they always ask me about shirts.;)

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I would find someone within your area to work with to help you out. I think your contacts and someone else's know how could tam up and make some cash. ... JB

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Thanks. There is a market here for T-shirts. Especially for christian Tees. I'm not very artistic though. I was Kind of thinking of finding some really nice designed christian tees at a very nice wholesale price to help work on building my capital. Then, of course, moving on to the next Phase. I deal with a lot of Churches of various denominations, and they always ask me about shirts.;)
Keep your designs simple to begin with. Just a simple cross with a suitable message or slogan would allow you to 'test the waters' and see if religious tees are viable.

The real test of any new product, is actually getting people to dip into their wallets and make a purchase. Cross that hurdle and the rest will follow.

Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Another idea:

Maybe you can find a local designer in your market segment looking for a similar deal. They design, you sell.

Get a business licence and sales tax resellers permit and get set up as a wholesaler with a local shirt distributor and with some contract printers.

Then, maybe you can get deposits from customers, and the two of you split the remaining costs. Everything is COD, so you wouldn't need to bank the money for long.

Whatever you do, don't set your prices too low. Make sure you are charging at least three times your costs as you eventually need to pay for overhead, marketing etc.

R.

·
Registered
506 Posts
With a 15 x 15 heat press ($650 +/-) and Proworld transfers you could do christian oriented tee's and do custom printed t-shirts using plastisol transfers.

Christian T-Shirt Heat Transfers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts