T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
please help? thank you for all who take there time reading this long post..

well before i found out about this forum i had just bought a semi pro package from http://www.silkscreeningsupplies.com/site/799934/page/483398 with an alluminum exposure unit. it added up to about 1400$ including shipment. i havn't used a thing yet
im young and don't have much cash. so i didnt want to spend a lot starting out

i'm a designer that is looking for a path to start my own clothing line that will save money in the long run.
i am willing to take the long learning journey of screen printing if it will save me money in the future.
most of my designs are large (average 11"x17"), but don't go into fine detail, yet i would like to sell vibrant colored designs on tshirts to target the high end crowd. most of my designs hit around 4 colors

i guess you could compare the level of detail and vibrancy of colors to johnny cupcakes tshirts like the ones in the picture
http://ohjoy.blogs.com/my_weblog/images/johnnycupcakes.jpg

i wish i could've asked this question these questions before..so..

-after reading all ive said, would it be smart keeping the press i have? or try to sell it to try to get another?

- or in the long run, would it just be better off having someone else do my screen printing? (cost wise)

oh and
-would it be a good idea to try to get a job at a local screen printer? (if its possible) i live in minneapolis

thanks again

·
Registered
199 Posts
Return that press!

I bought the same one when I started. It is nearly impossible to register screens for multi-color jobs. I had to upgrade almost immediately. I still have that press sitting in a corner in my shop. I wouldn't even use it on a single color job.

I am in the same boat you are just maybe 2 years ahead of you.

Send me a PM and we can chat. I tell you about all the mistakes I made so that you don't have to make them yourself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey I was looking at that kit as well. I'm a first timer looking to start out, if you have any advice about which kit or products would be best please PM me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Heh, you can use that press for single color jobs... not really worth $1,400... you might as well buy a high quality compressor & airbrush from an art store for $800.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yeah, you can use it for single color jobs. But on your first 500 shirt order you'll be rethinking your whole t-shirt making adventure. It's way too slow for a decent production rate. You will need 4 stations at least. One for printing, one for flash/curing, and one for a second person to load shirts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts