T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making a first round of t-shirts, I've got a company name/logo and it's going to be on the label inside the shirts, should I register this logo and put a copyright symbol on the label? Can I put a copyright symbol on the label w/o registering it? Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
i agree that there is no need to register at the beginning stage, but you need to check the trademark (logo) is registered or not.

Otherwise you will be in big trouble once your business runs well.

·
Banned
41 Posts
You have just started your business and you want to put a copyright mark on that.

I think you should first check out that someone else have not used your symbol or have the copyrights of your symbol or logo, because if someone else have the copyrights for your symbol then you have to change it.

One more thing if you have not registered the symbol then you can not put a copyright mark on your label.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
You have just started your business and you want to put a copyright mark on that.

I think you should first check out that someone else have not used your symbol or have the copyrights of your symbol or logo, because if someone else have the copyrights for your symbol then you have to change it.
I think you mean Trademark, not Copyright.

Trademarks are for logos, brand names, etc. Copyrights are for works of art, such as t-shirt designs.

One more thing if you have not registered the symbol then you can not put a copyright mark on your label.
When claiming the rights to a trademark, the ™ symbol can be used at any time. The ® symbol can only be used when the mark is officially registered with the US Trademark Office.

When claiming the rights to a copyright, the © symbol can be used at any time.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
This post is from 2008, it will be interesting to see if he post back to let us know how he is doing. However he has only had 6 post in all this time…my guess is he hasn’t been her much since then.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
i always thought the encircled 'c' meant that it's an international copyright, as opposed to just the 'c'. i'll have to check back into that. :) that's the way i understood it about 12 years ago when i wrote a book, at any rate.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've been under the impression that once you've put your "mark" or "trademark" on an item, or invented an item and there was proof of when it was made, you were pretty well covered if it ever came down to going to court over it. PLEASE correct me if I am wrong!!
Also, while I'm here, being a newbie, I'm sure I am asking some ridiculous questions, but, if 100% pre-shrunk cotton still shrinks a little, is there a need to wash the shirts before putting a silk screen print on them?
Thanks for your patience.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
I've been under the impression that once you've put your "mark" or "trademark" on an item, or invented an item and there was proof of when it was made, you were pretty well covered if it ever came down to going to court over it.
When you sell a product that features your mark (brand name or logo), you can claim rights to that mark as a common law trademark. You do not need to officially apply for a federal registration for common law rights to exist.

But, common law trademark is usually restricted to the states where the product was sold. So the ownership rights of the mark can be somewhat limited. Also, it can be sometimes be tough to prove ownership if a case goes to court.

The value of a federal trademark registration is that it is on public record and is valid in all states. So while common law trademark can be useful, it should never be considered a valuable substitute for a federal registration.

Inventions are protected by patents, not trademarks. The process is different and I don't believe there is such a thing as common law patent.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
put a TM next to your logo and you are done. That is a common law trademark, generally unenforceable outside of your area where you sell.

If you want the circle R you will need to register it.

You wouldn't copyright it if it is a logo or brand.

Reactions: LEVELMAN1
1 - 14 of 14 Posts